I realized this should probably be here. Cutting issue and G-code translation error?

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Taliesin77
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

I realized this should probably be here. Cutting issue and G-code translation error?

Post by Taliesin77 »

I have a Hypertherm 65 on a Hornet cutting table, and I just started having issues with cutting all the way thru the material. It seems to be with Finecut consumables are having problems with all gages of material. I changed all the consumables, including the swirl ring, but still got this when cutting 3/16".

So I changed to standard consumables, and the toolpath has a translation error in the "teeth" of the part( seen on the right side on the middle cut-out).

standard consumables gave me this:

Here's a picture of the toolpath:

I thought it was maybe a one time thing, but I got the same when I tried to cut it again.

Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by Taliesin77 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: I realized this should probably be here. Cutting issue and G-code translation error?

Post by acourtjester »

I would say you have a movement problem, holes are not round and the 2 hole on the line are not shown that way in the drawing.
And the beginning and end of the cut path do not meet. YOu may have a loose connector to a axis motor. The teeth as you call them could be the drive is skipping and not moving. They all seem to be in the same axis direction.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Taliesin77
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: I realized this should probably be here. Cutting issue and G-code translation error?

Post by Taliesin77 »

acourtjester wrote:I would say you have a movement problem, holes are not round and the 2 hole on the line are not shown that way in the drawing.
And the beginning and end of the cut path do not meet. YOu may have a loose connector to a axis motor. The teeth as you call them could be the drive is skipping and not moving. They all seem to be in the same axis direction.

acourtjester, the cut with the finecut consumables followed the correct toolpath, they just didn't cut through (which is one issue I am also wondering about). The change from finecut to standard consumables is what brought the toolpath error. The fact that the exterior cut without problem makes me believe it is a software issue, not a mechanical, axis motor issue.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I don't think fine cut is for 3/16" (0.1875") book stated 10 Ga max (0.1345").
Maybe another poster will voice their Idea, Changing tip should have no effect on the path the torch moves.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Taliesin77
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Taliesin77 »

Here is a picture of the toolpath trace on the monitor:

You can see that the red line is the actual movement of the torch and the green is the intended path.
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

I have seen that before where the torch begins tracking off the correct path at a certain point. In every case I have seen there will be a funky line, loop, or something of sort at the location where the torch begins tracking wrong. Often you need to zoom in VERY close in CAD to see this. Can you upload the file so we can have a look?
Taliesin77
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Taliesin77 »

plasmanewbie wrote:I have seen that before where the torch begins tracking off the correct path at a certain point. In every case I have seen there will be a funky line, loop, or something of sort at the location where the torch begins tracking wrong. Often you need to zoom in VERY close in CAD to see this. Can you upload the file so we can have a look?
Attachments
Flat pattern - XXL CAGE CLAMP V2.DXF
Here's the DXF
(42.3 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

Well I had a look at your dxf and don't see anything strange so I'm stumped. Sorry I couldn't help :?
all names have been taken
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by all names have been taken »

Did you get this solved? I may have an idea. If you did get this figured out, could you fill us all in?
Stout
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Stout »

I looked at the file also and did not find any issues. The facts:
The finecut example completed the job without a motion issue so the drawing seems to be OK.
The controller seems to know where the torch was when it did not follow the path which means that the motion and the controller appear to be operating properly.

I am starting to suspect you have some type of hi frequency bleed causing a drive or motor to move. If you are compiling your G code as incremental, then the motor may have moved due to a voltage or hi freq problem. The controller just says to move from wherever it currently is to this direction for this this length. In absolute mode, every movement is based on 0.0 position so you may be able to compensate for any outside interference. You might try changing your coordinate system to absolute.
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
Sector Technologies Photon 5x10 water table machine with Hypertherm Micro Edge Controller, Powermax 105

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”