Bad Kerf Issues HELP!!

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Natepcs
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Bad Kerf Issues HELP!!

Post by Natepcs »

New to the forum in hopes someone has a solution to my problem. I have a Bulltear table that is about a year and a half old and has been used for around 20 hours. It is powered by a Powermax 85 that we bought new with it. The air system supplying it is a kaiser compressor, dryer and filters. Shortly after we got the machine the issues started and we have been fighting them ever since. It cuts leaving alot of(.125 of kerf over 1/4 steel) kerf on the x axis both going the same direction. If you spin the torch 90 degrees it will do it on Y axis. I replaced the torch head per hypertherm and it improved the issue but did not solve it completely. That lasted maybe 30 mins of cut time now it is doing it again. HELP! Torch heads are NOT consumbles :lol:
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Bad Kerf Issues HELP!!

Post by weldguy »

If you see it on the X axis and turn the torch 90 and it moves to the Y axis then its likely your nozzle. My guess is that the hole in the nozzle is no longer round so the air flows off to one side and causes this bad kerf angle. Look inside your nozzle for black or grey swirling marks which will indicate contamination in your air supply which will be burning your nozzle out very fast, maybe even on the first pierce! I know you have filters in place but if you see those carbon deposits in your nozzle and around your electrode shaft they are not doing a good enough job or you have an air line after the dryer that is full of crap and or moisture.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Kerf is the relative width of the cut. I suspect you are talking about angularity of the cut edge, not the kerf width. Generally....when you see widely varying angularity....especially with the parallelogram effect (angles on one axis in both directions, minimal angle on the other axis in both directions), then that indicates a damaged nozzle orifice and or shield orifice/bleed holes. Pictures of your cuts and the nozzle/shield orifices will help us help you. Nozzles orifices can be damaged on the very first pierce if pierce height, pierce delay are not accurately and repeatably set correctly. Jim Colt Hypertherm
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BTA Plasma »

After reviewing this issue there is no scenario where it could be the torch again. We are sending you another torch mount with a collision sensor upgrade. Your mount has to have a ding in it to kick the torch out of alignment.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”