Wavy Cut on y axis only in one direction

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Jtucker7000
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Wavy Cut on y axis only in one direction

Post by Jtucker7000 »

I cut a piece yesterday and noticed only one side shows a wavy or jagged cut. It seems like to me the y axis is the cause but only when moving one direction, all straight edges along the x axis are smooth. I would think the problem would be present on the y axis regardless of the direction. The picture attached shows the difference, the left is wavy and the right is as good as it has ever been. Because its only one direction affected I assume its not the THC hunting or oscillating, and I wouldn't think its a gear and belt slipping, the rack and spur gear was replaced this year. I assume the issue is mechanical and I plan to spend tomorrow hunting for a solution, until then I thought maybe someone more experienced with this might have seen this before and point me in the right direction. Visually everything seems to be moving smoothly, this was cut with 45 amp fine cut consumables at 200IPM. Is my assumption that a mechanical issue is most likely? could a motor, driver, or electrical component cause this issue only when moving one direction?
Attachments
Wavy Cuts.jpg
PlasmaCam 98z retrofit to Mach4 & Proma THC
Hypertherm Powermax45
Mach 4, CamBam, Inkscape
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Wavy Cut on y axis only in one direction

Post by djreiswig »

If it is on the same side of the material it could be a nozzle problem.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Was going to say gear rack until noticed you had replaced that, mine started showing signs on the X axis, my rack has had a fairly tough 4yrs and it's getting a bit worn, I ended up just sanding the outer edge of the spur gear, running smooth again now on mine.
It's worth disconnecting the belts and pushing the gantry it might help trying to spot it, did with mine.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

If you put your hand on the torch while it is cutting you will feel a vibration in the direction where the roughness shows. Most likely it is mechanical, worn gears, incorrect gear mesh, loose or wobbly motor mount etc. It also could be a tuning issue....where one drive motor has an abnormally high gain or acceleration setting. Disconnect the motors from the gear....and push the machine on each axis as well to feel for binding. Jim Colt Hypertherm
Jtucker7000
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Jtucker7000 »

I appreciate the advice, I’ve been so busy at work I just got a chance to do some testing. While the torch is moving everything feels smooth to me. I cut some 10ga and 1/4” at about 45 ipm and the cut is smooth both directions. I changed tips and not any better on 14ga at higher speeds. I’ve played around with motor tuning but I dont see any difference. The x and y are currently at 450velocity/35 accel, the z is at 40/10. My z axis uses bearings I believe made from delrin, I wonder at higher speeds if there is vibration there. If I push left and right on the slider there is a minimal amount of movement but I think it was always that way. I doubt plastic bearings would have very tight tolerances. Is it likely to be issues from the z axis? If so any suggestions on a good replacement. I’ve looked at the Velox makes it looks well made but bulky and exspensive.
PlasmaCam 98z retrofit to Mach4 & Proma THC
Hypertherm Powermax45
Mach 4, CamBam, Inkscape

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”