Air pressure

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Davehunterconrad
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Air pressure

Post by Davehunterconrad »

How much air pressure should you run with 80 or 60 amp cutting 3/8
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Air pressure

Post by jimcolt »

What make and model Plasma Cutter? Also, there is inlet pressure and cut pressure on every plasma cutter...two different settings based again on the make and model as well as choice of consumables. Jim Colt Hypertherm
Davehunterconrad
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Davehunterconrad »

Hypertherm 1250 Jim, now I'm guessing the inlet pressure is controlled by my air compressor and the cut is with the nob on the front of my 1250? I'm cutting 3/8 ar450 with 80 amp consumables. I set the air on the 1250 to 80 psi. Is this correct?
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Here is the gas pressure setting page from the Powermax1250 operators manual. There is a pressure setting for gouging and one for cutting. Follow this procedure every time before cutting as it has you set the cut pressure when air flows at the torch. Inlet pressure (with air flowing at the torch) must always be between 90 and 120 psi. Too low and you will get poor cuts, too high and you can damage internal air pressure components.
setting cut gas.jpg

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”