Number of Pierces I Can Expect from 1/4" Plate?

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
ME Newb
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Number of Pierces I Can Expect from 1/4" Plate?

Post by ME Newb »

I have a part I produce that nests pretty well so I get 257 pcs out of a 5x10 sheet of 1/4" AR500. Each part requires 4 pierces(1028 total). I will be running around 15 sheets at a time. I pickup up my JD Squared table on Thursday and will be running a PM85. What kind of consumable life can I expect and what amperage consumables should I run for best life/cut quality?
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Number of Pierces I Can Expect from 1/4" Plate?

Post by jimcolt »

For best cut quality you will use the 45 amp shielded consumables, set them up to run at exactly book speeds (from the detailed cut parameter charts in the Hypertherm operators manual). Assuming everything is set correctly (amperage, pierce height, pierce delay, cut height, arc voltage, cut speed) and that your air inlet pressure stays within 90 to 135 psi (measured at the plasma inlet when air is flowing to the torch) and that your cut pressure is left in Auto mode.....you should be able to Get 3 to 5 sheets of your parts per nozzle, perhaps twice that amount per electrode change. Your consumables cost per part cut will likely be less than a penny. Jim Colt Hypertherm
ME Newb
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Number of Pierces I Can Expect from 1/4" Plate?

Post by ME Newb »

Wow that's incredible. Will 65 amp edge quality be considerably worse? Life? Arc time at 70 inches/minute with 45 amps would be around 2.5 hrs not counting pierces/time between pierces. That's a loooong time. I have to cut (2) 5/16" diameter holes in each part, I'm guessing 65 amp would still be able to produce passable quality edges?

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”