Cut over a slot or hole

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Paint Chip
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Cut over a slot or hole

Post by Paint Chip »

If you have the setting for interrupted cutting (for doing things like expanded metal) on your Hypertherem then you can go over slots and it should keep the arc going. It's on a settings selector knob on the front of the machine (at least it is on my PM85).
PPLLC 4X8 table w 620 ox steppers on 5 axes
Bladerunner CandCNC w/DTHC II
Hypertherm PM85
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

Also...THC has to be off. Running over a void or prior cut will cause major issues with the THC engaged. The best advice is: Don't do artwork where objects cross.
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

If cutting over a previous cut is such a bad thing, then how is it that it works fine with looped corners?
flange.gif
flange.gif (4.62 KiB) Viewed 821 times
Steve

Homebrewed plasma table in the works, NSK linear rails, 3.2:1 belt reduction, CandCNC Plazpak 1A with DTHCIV Ethercut, Hypertherm 85, CommandCNC and SheetCAM
Click here for build post
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Largemouthlou »

The kerf line is small enough and torch moving fast enough that it don't skip a beat..
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

Largemouthlou wrote:The kerf line is small enough and torch moving fast enough that it don't skip a beat..
That's a function of your cut speed, and THC sensitivity. Fast cutting with high THC sensitivity, you should be fine. Slow cutting (thicker material) with fast THC setting, it'll probably crash (though that's a combo you shouldn't have, anyway).
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
FazQuaz
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by FazQuaz »

I cut over existing cuts all the time and this is how I do it.
-In sheetcam highlight the operation you want to do this with.
-go to Mode, edit action points. Move to the location on the drawing you want to go over an existing line. Boxes will appear that require information. This is what I use:
Length - 1inch Feedrate - 100% Start Code - Code C2 DTHC on End Code - Code C1 DTHC off.

You will also need to put a check in the "Disable Hold" so when the arc signal is lost the torch does not just stop.
Star Lab NGEN 4x8
PowerMax 85
Linux/Command CNC
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

FazQuaz wrote:I cut over existing cuts all the time and this is how I do it.
-In sheetcam highlight the operation you want to do this with.
-go to Mode, edit action points. Move to the location on the drawing you want to go over an existing line. Boxes will appear that require information. This is what I use:
Length - 1inch Feedrate - 100% Start Code - Code C2 DTHC on End Code - Code C1 DTHC off.

You will also need to put a check in the "Disable Hold" so when the arc signal is lost the torch does not just stop.
I'll be danged. This is good to know! I'll have to give this a shot! I didn't know I could choose -specific- points on the toolpath for actions.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
FazQuaz
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by FazQuaz »

I forgot to mention, that I break up the drawing into lines that are vertical and horizontal and put them on different layers. I cut the vertical lines first (on its own layer) and then cut the horizontal. The horizontal cut (or layer) will be cutting over the vertical layer and will require the instructions I mentioned above. I hope this makes sense!
Star Lab NGEN 4x8
PowerMax 85
Linux/Command CNC

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”