mirrior image

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
pcilse33
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

mirrior image

Post by pcilse33 »

first of all I'm new to CNC plasma cutting. But when I cut the machine seems to be cutting a mirror image.

Hardware:
TABLE: Eagle Plasma 5X10
PLASMA: Hyperthem 45XP

Software:
Adobe Illustrator (export DXF )
SheetCam
Mach3

So create a file in Adobe Illustrator, then Export to SheetCam. When I open in Sheetcam it still looks the same. Then compile and send to Mach3. The artwork in the display still looks correct. But when the parts cut the side that should be the front is actually the back.
For example: I draw the shape of Oklahoma and the panhandle is to the left (west) but when it cuts the panhandle is to the right (east). Not a big deal but eventually would like to use a router of scribe.
Eagle Plasma 5X10
Hyperthem 45
ScottF
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: mirrior image

Post by ScottF »

Is the home (0x,0y) location in the correct location or is it also reversed? It may be possible that the wires are reversed on the offending axis. This would cause the g-code to direct the table in a positive direction when in reality it is moving in a negative. I am not familiar with your specific table and controller but it could also be a software setup that is directing the table to move opposite. I can't remember if Mach3 (its been a few years since I have messed with it) has the ability to swap movement direction in the setup but it might be worth a check. Someone else may have another idea but these the only things that are jumping into my head at the moment.
I don't have all the answers but I do have a lot of opinions....

ShopSabre Sidekick 8 with water table
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/machine and hand torches
IR 5hp 60 gal,+ 60 gallons of storage and aftercooler
Lincoln Square Wave 200
14x40 lathe
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

As Scott says it sounds like the X & Y motors are moving in the wrong direction. This is easy to check set your table up with the torch in the middle and then zero out the DROs so you have 0.00 showing in both X & Y DROs. Now with the arrow keys on the keyboard push the left arrow and the table should move in the -X direction, is you push the down arrow the table should move in the -Y direction.
I know some have the X & Y positions differently if yours is like that the position of the O is 90 degree fro the image I attached but the table still moves like shown. the negative directions for the X will be toward you Y and to the left. If yours move the other way change the directions in Mach by changing the Xs in the box to green or reverse them to change directions. ;)
axis4 A.JPG
axis4 A.JPG (37.53 KiB) Viewed 855 times
direction.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
pcilse33
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by pcilse33 »

thanks for the reply. Been down in the shop all day. Had some stuff that had to be cut so I just flipped the image in Illustrator to get stuff done. Will check the solutions tomorrow.
Eagle Plasma 5X10
Hyperthem 45
Jeepn2
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Jeepn2 »

Looks like I asked the same question at about the same time, I was thinking it was a Mach setting on the motors and it probably is. Did you get your system straightened out? What part of OK are you in, I'm near Poteau but work out of state.
James
Precision Plasma Patriot 4X8, water table, Price THC, UC 400ETH, Floating head
Hypertherm 45XP - Machine torch
UCCNC, Sheetcam, Inkscape/Corel X5
pcilse33
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by pcilse33 »

I work out of state also. 10 days on and 4 days off. Back at work now. Will look into it when I get back.
Eagle Plasma 5X10
Hyperthem 45
Jeepn2

Post by Jeepn2 »

Finally got back home and checked my Y drives and they were reversed - all working great now - I think the cut quality is probably a little better also. I made the changes in Mach 3 ports and pins.
Precision Plasma Patriot 4X8, water table, Price THC, UC 400ETH, Floating head
Hypertherm 45XP - Machine torch
UCCNC, Sheetcam, Inkscape/Corel X5
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Good reply it may help other in the future :)
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”