power max 45 trouble cutting 1/4 material

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Rtodahl01
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

power max 45 trouble cutting 1/4 material

Post by Rtodahl01 »

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
if I try to use the factory voltage and travel speed it doesn't cut through the material at all just gouges.
I have dropped to 88 volts and 50ipm and it will cut fairly well. ? not even close tofactory setting.
I have replaced the o ring and all consumables, also have changed filters in the air system to be sure.
I can get pretty good cuts on 10 gauge but soon as I go to the 1/4 inch I have problems.
hooked up my hand torch and can cut the 1/4 fine.
I have a wright 5 x 10 with the sheet cam and Mach 3 I use turbo cad for drawing.
all parts are hypertherm parts
Dfrick23
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: power max 45 trouble cutting 1/4 material

Post by Dfrick23 »

Do you have a good connection on the positive clamp? I cut 1/4 at 48 ipm and get pretty clean cuts, can't tell ya about the thc, I use a proma and its always near 100 for a .06 cut.. try a dry run and stop it and measure the gap.. maybe the cut height is out at 88 volts.. definitely a problem there.. can you clamp straight to material? And is the air pressure is dropping around the same as the hand torch?
Rtodahl01
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Rtodahl01 »

Clamp directly to material.
Going to check air pressure at machine.
Rtodahl01
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Rtodahl01 »

Dfrick23
Tried your setting, worked good.
Seems odd, but works
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The voltage is controlled by the length of the arc , thickness of the material and the height control. It sounds as though your height control is seriously out of calibration if you are seeing 88 volts on 1/4" material. It takes over 130 volts at 45 amps (about 5.8 kilowatts) to cut 1/4" steel. My suggestion is to ignore the voltage readout and set the torch to the suggested physical cut height of .06"...then you will be able to cut at the speed and quality as listed in the operators manual. If you want to see the actual arc voltage when cutting anything, connect a DC voltmeter to the raw arc voltage connections inside the Power supply (instructions are in the operators manual) and set it on a 300 VDC scale. Monitor this voltage during a cut at book cut height and speed and you will see it is within a few volts of the voltage listed in the manual.....this will show you the correct voltage that (if the height control worked properly) you have. Jim Colt Hypertherm
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

Wright uses the Promo THC that is known for bad readings. If you are using their 50:1 input that needs to be really close to the plasma or external noise will cause problems. If its to the raw volts you can run that further if you don't mind the high voltage running around your shop along with the added noise from the "antenna".

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”