Metal warping! Help

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
janderson131
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Metal warping! Help

Post by janderson131 »

Running a hypertherm 45xp on my PlasmaCAM. Been cutting decorative signs with smal fonts and getting a lot of warping in the metal. I have read a lot about speed and for some reason it will not make clean cuts at any speed above 240ipm. Which I know is causing a lot of heat to the metal but not sure how to fix! It seems like guys keep talking about speeds around 400 ipm but whatever my setup is I cannot achieve that! Using fine tip consumables also!
Thanks
sphurley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Metal warping! Help

Post by sphurley »

FineCutwithLowSpeed03_12.pdf
(21.59 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
Have you tried this chart? (for those of us who can't reach warp speeds)
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
janderson131
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by janderson131 »

Thanks
I will. Was also doing some looking on old threads and saw where people were dropping there amps down into the 30 range and that helped.
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plain ol Bill »

Heat is your problem - a water table will solve that. In lieu of that try spritzing w/ water during cut.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Correct height and speed is the key to minimizing warpage. In some cases when your art has very close cuts....expect more heat input and warpage.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

One of the options in SheetCAm is to select "minimize Cutting Distortion" in the internal cut rules. I avoids mainking a series of cuts in the same area . You can do the same thing manually by selecting different objects spread apart and assign them to layers and cut them in an order you select using separate operations. Metal warps not only from heat but from stress relief so it won't solve all of it. Misting with water can help . Spreading out cuts can help . Cutting faster can help but can also cause other problems on smaller objects.
marcnaz
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by marcnaz »

Thin metal and a plasma cutter is going to equal warping. Like others have already noted, you can minimize it by fine tuning your speed and amp settings but the only way I have found that really makes a difference is using a water table. On my table with the water level high it splashes enough up on the underside so I get very little warping on fairly thin metal. I can pick the cut parts up immediately after cutting by hand. If you can alternate your cut locations and avoid cutting in the same area it will help a little also.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”