.25" Aluminum 4'x8' sheet cutting

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Nacs Fab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

.25" Aluminum 4'x8' sheet cutting

Post by Nacs Fab »

I have a big job cutting 10 sheets of 4'x8' 3003 0.25" aluminum. Ive never cut this thick of aluminum and just curious what settings you guys have found, within book specs for the cutting? I have a Hypertherm 1250 with the duramax torch upgrade. We have a THC that senses arc voltage. It is the CandCNC LCTHC setup, not looking to upgrade just for one project, although I could buy 3 of their systems just paying for the materials. My machine uses V-rail, so no problem creating precise cuts.
Shop Droids Plasmabot 3.0 DIY 4x8 with water table
G540 with LCTHC by candcnc
Hypertherm 1250 with Duramax Torch Upgrade
all built... by me...
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: .25" Aluminum 4'x8' sheet cutting

Post by Largemouthlou »

Book specs work good.. I always use the slowest setting for good cuts.25 amp nozzle,142 volts, 54 feed rate. span gap for volts at 4, .060 on kerf compensation .1600 for pierce height. I always cut 5052 I think it cuts better, welds better and has more corrosion resistance. little harder to bend though.
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics
Nacs Fab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Nacs Fab »

The job has changed to .125" aluminum. I did get a warning from my steel supplier something about using a water table and aluminum cutting - is this something you guys concern yourselves with or should I plan on draining my water table and drying it out prior to cutting sheets of aluminum? My variety is 3003 aluminum. EDIT - I found several threads on the page about cutting and Ill follow those guidelines.
Shop Droids Plasmabot 3.0 DIY 4x8 with water table
G540 with LCTHC by candcnc
Hypertherm 1250 with Duramax Torch Upgrade
all built... by me...
gilbertweldinganddesign
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by gilbertweldinganddesign »

i'am trying to cut .25 aluminum with a hypertherm 45 with enroute 6 software, so far , not cutting all the way through. could someone help with torch settings? thanks gilbert
hoodgurl_unarmed
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by hoodgurl_unarmed »

I am trying to cut 11 gauge aluminum atp with a hypertherm 65. Every ridge is not cutting all the way through. I used the settings in the manual. thanks.
sawdust1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by sawdust1 »

I have never had a problem cutting aluminum on my water table. When I allow the drops to sit in the water for days, I get bubbles that are fun to light.
There is so much air coming through the torch during cutting that any produced hydrogen is so far below the LEL it is not a concern.

David

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”