It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:18 pm

Bevel

Plasma Cut Quality can often be an issue for many of us. Check here if you have plasma cut quality issues. Ask a question, look for advice, post a helpful tip here.
rbmgf7

Bevel

Postby rbmgf7 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:04 pm

I just redid my slats so I could bring the working piece closer to the water. I had a 4 inch deep pan but beforehand the part sat at least an inch above the water and kicked up terrible amounts of smoke and dust (but the cuts were great). I needed to cut down the dust so I remade the slats and now the part sits directly on top of the water.

I've cut 3/16 and 1/4 inch beautifully before with near neutral to the correct bevel and nearly no dross.

Now my parts are cutting as if the cut was leaning. There's a bevel on one side and the lower half is near neutral; as if the part is leaning.

The torch is square to the material and I have the correct cut direction in Sheetcam (programming-wise, I'm using the same speed and direction from before that yielded great results).

Not sure what caused this bevel "lean".

Equipment: PM45 with mech torch, ESS, Proma, Mach3, Sheetcam

rbmgf7

Re: Bevel

Postby rbmgf7 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:49 pm

That was quick. I went back to troubleshoot some more.

Found one of the holes on the nozzle shield was plugged. Cleaned it out and now it cuts like normal.

ScottF

Postby ScottF » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:28 pm

Glad you got it sorted out quickly and it wasn't anything major.

WyoGreen
Elite Contributing Member
Elite Contributing Member

Postby WyoGreen » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:43 pm

Those plugged shield holes will bite you every once in a while. I've gotten to where I pop the torch off the mount and check the holes before every cutting session.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
CNC Router table

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”