Pierce and cut height problems.

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
jdocekal
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Pierce and cut height problems.

Post by jdocekal »

Hello everyone.

New to the plasma table world. I'm familiar with it, but a master at nothing.

We have a Hypertherm 1000 with a PlasmaCam table. And before anyone answers my question with a "read the manual", we bought the machines used and got no literature with it. (Was a good deal as is)

We have been successful at cutting our current needs but quality is my issue. My current problem has to do with height control. It does not seem to stay consistent. When the torch head goes down to do the initial height sensing it seems to push way too hard. As in, if i have a small piece of steel on the table and it is hanging off one of the grates it will tip the piece up off the table. We have been messing with height since we got this table. When typing in a desired torch height it seems to be not anywhere near what we are specifying. So for now i just type in a number to trick it into a height.

Is there something I'm missing as far as a calibration procedure? Basically wondering if anyone has a process that i could run through as though someone would do when they first get a machine?

Thank you very much.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Pierce and cut height problems.

Post by acourtjester »

First welcome aboard
Now does your table have a automatic torch height control? if not just setting an arbitrary value will not work.
A torch height control will find the top surface of the metal before each pierce to set the correct torch height for the cutting operation.
There are 2 types of torch height control one being sliding mount for the torch with a switch that is tripped when the torch touches the metal surface.
And another is a ohmic type which is an electrical contact type. Both signal the software the metal surface to set it at the start of each cut operation.
Here is simple video showing the ohmic type.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irhDCCx ... e=youtu.be
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
jdocekal
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by jdocekal »

Not 100%, as I stated, we are pretty new to all this. You mention a sliding mount on the torch head. That is what we are setup with. There is a knob that you turn that will physically raise the torch.

When "touching" the metal it pushes hard enough to either move the piece or move the torch holder off the gantry a bit. It's held on with springs so it comes back, but I'm just thinking that cannot be right.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Ok I'm sure someone here can help for your table design more then I could.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

jdocekal wrote:Hello everyone.

New to the plasma table world. I'm familiar with it, but a master at nothing.

We have a Hypertherm 1000 with a PlasmaCam table. And before anyone answers my question with a "read the manual", we bought the machines used and got no literature with it. (Was a good deal as is)
The Hypertherm manual can be downloaded from Hypertherm.com and the PlasmaCAM manual can be downloaded from the Owner's Community. If you don't have access to the OC, private message me and I will send you a copy.
jdocekal wrote:
We have been successful at cutting our current needs but quality is my issue. My current problem has to do with height control. It does not seem to stay consistent. When the torch head goes down to do the initial height sensing it seems to push way too hard. As in, if i have a small piece of steel on the table and it is hanging off one of the grates it will tip the piece up off the table. We have been messing with height since we got this table. When typing in a desired torch height it seems to be not anywhere near what we are specifying. So for now i just type in a number to trick it into a height.

Is there something I'm missing as far as a calibration procedure? Basically wondering if anyone has a process that i could run through as though someone would do when they first get a machine?

Thank you very much.
WIth PlasmaCAM there are several different models of table and software and different upgrade levels of that software. Without getting into all that may or may not be, I'll try to give you some direction first and then you can tell me here or in private message what version # of software you are using and if applicable what level of height control you have.

IF you are using a model with ohmic sensing (there will be a wire running from the z motor down to the torch shield. It shouldn't be pusing too hard on the metal unless you don't have a good ground. As far as the height not equaling what you've set - based on that I'll assume you have basic or advanced height control. Set the cut height by the book (should be .06" in most cases with Hypertherm) and make a straight line cut path. Have it cut the line but in the middle of the cut press the stop button on the controller. Using a feeler gauge, measure the actual cutting height. Then look for the setting on your height control tab that says arc voltage shift. Adjust that number by the number of inches your cut height was off. For instance if the cut height was set at .06 and you measured .10 then you need to subtract .04 from the number that is in the arc voltage shift box.

Again, message me if I can help you more directly I'd be happy to do so.

- Robert
jdocekal
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by jdocekal »

I didn't get a chance to mess with this last night but will tonight. I get what your saying about checking the height and adjusting the arc voltage. That seems simple enough. I still am having an issue with the initial "touch" of the torch head. It is not ohmic sensing as there is no wire running to the torch shield. (It seems like) every time it goes to touch the metal it is different. Sometimes it runs down so hard it moves the whole torch mount and other times it doesn't even touch the metal.

I am not around the machine so I cannot say for sure, but I'm about 90% sure I remember seeing advanced height control in the settings. So I am going to say that is what I'm working with.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”