Need Help Getting This to Cut Correctly

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
jordan.jewell
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Need Help Getting This to Cut Correctly

Post by jordan.jewell »

Can someone please help me get this to cut out correctly, and explain to me what I am doing wrong. I am attaching what it is suppose to be and then the project with the tool paths on it. The issue I am having is that everywhere there is a red line it is cutting and I don't know what to do to fix that.

Thanks,
Jordan
Attachments
mountaineers 6 sided fire pit.dxf
(197.13 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
icmplasma85
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Need Help Getting This to Cut Correctly

Post by icmplasma85 »

You need to leave some material on each side of your bend line so it doesn't cut completely in half. I left a 1/2" on each side. Also, you need to bridge your text. A's, O's, P's, Q's, anything with a closed path inside of the letter will have to be bridged or cut as a solid letter to cut properly. Hope that made sense, but the file I attached is how I would cut it.
Attachments
mountaineers 6 sided fire pit.dxf
(131.35 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hypertherm Powermax 65
Millermatic 211 MIG Welder
BBmetal
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by BBmetal »

There are several issues with your file. First, You need to stencil your letters that have drop outs in them. (i.e: A, O, R). The next issue is what I assume is meant to be a bend line. You have it drawn all the way across. This will result in it cutting all the way across. The last issue I see is that your M and S are very close to the edge if your drawing. I'm not sure what thickness you are cutting this out of but it may cause you some issues. I have bridged all of your text and corrected your bend line to leave about 1/2" of material on either side of each cut line. You should be able to still bend it. See if this file works better for you.
firepit side.svg
(11.49 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
"If you can't find the time to do it right, When will you find the time to do it over?"

LDR Motion Systems 4X4 with scribe
Hypertherm 45
Millermatic 211
Wysong Model 100 Ironworker
Chinese 40" 3in1
jordan.jewell

Post by jordan.jewell »

Will this fix the problem with the torch cutting where the red lines are? Like were it goes from the outer line to the SA it cut it all the way to that point and anywhere there is a red line it cut.
BBmetal
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by BBmetal »

You don't mention what software you are using. I assume you are using sheetcam / Mach3. In sheetcam, after you create your plasma cutting operation, Make sure that your cut paths are turned on under the view tab, This will show you how sheetcam intends cut your file. You should see a path around the outside line and a separate path around the SA in the middle. if you see a cut path going between the outside line and the SA in the center, you still have an issue. Please let us know what software you use. I can create you a .tap file from the drawing when I get home if you use Mach 3.
"If you can't find the time to do it right, When will you find the time to do it over?"

Hypertherm 45
Millermatic 211
Chinese 40" 3in1
jordan.jewell

Post by jordan.jewell »

I use VCARVE PRO software and I have a EzCut machine
BBmetal
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by BBmetal »

I probably can’t help you with a cut file then. I use sheetcam and mach3. Sorry. Hopefully someone familiar with you software will chime in and help you out.

Hypertherm 45
Millermatic 211
Chinese 40" 3in1
sphurley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by sphurley »

I have Vcarve and Aspire, the question is what post processor are you selecting in Vcarve for the output? I don't see an EzCut machine listed.
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
sphurley

Post by sphurley »

You also have a lot of nodes on the O, S, U etc. Not going to cut real well that way. Click on those letters in Vcarve with the node edit button and you will see.
The lines you don't want to cut, move to a new layer (and different color helps) and then don't cut those layers.
You should have inside layers/cuts and outside layers/cuts.
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
jordan.jewell

Post by jordan.jewell »

spurley, I select MultiCam G Code (Inch) because when I was trying the trial software the Vetric Support team told me to select that. I don't know if that is what I was suppose to continue using that Post Processor but I did.
jordan.jewell

Post by jordan.jewell »

do I need to delete all the nodes?
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by steel 35 »

If you do, you will have nothing.

Fix the drop outs, (stencils) leave more material at the end of the lower words, and change or delete the lines that extend out and I could cut it with sheetcam, all little things your close.
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Inkscape, Solid Edge, Sheetcam, Autocad 2K
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

V carve Pro is a routing program and a generic POST is going to produce a cut file for a router where the router turns on at the beginning and off at the end. Does not work for plasma. Surely EZcut can help guide you through the cut process for plasma. The only software I am aware of from Vetric is Cut2D that could be used for plasma. Is this a dual purpose machine? (router/ plasma) Does it have a touch off setup for plasma and a THC?

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”