DTHC goes wonky sometimes

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Thor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

DTHC goes wonky sometimes

Post by Thor »

Candcnc DTHV IV, with powermax 85 and watertable.

Been cutting some 24 ga stainless sheets. Using Finecut and running 30 amps, 200 ipm 82 volts. Typically everything works good, can watch torch follow a warp like riding a wave, when it does warp. Every so often, seems like only on larger parts (like 3 sq ft or so) the torch just keeps creeping up and up till theres about 1/2" gap between troch and work. Still cuts the part out, but of course edge looks like crap and big dross on back.

Should I by trying to increase the response rate of the dthc, or what else would cause it. My current thinking is that its on larger parts, that are more app to warp, and it starts following the warp and then looses itself so just stays high and doesn't come down fast enough. When I catch it the volts is up to like 110 or so. Thinking maybe the dthc just isnt responding fast enough?
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: DTHC goes wonky sometimes

Post by motoguy »

You are using CandCNC, correct? Do you have the tip saver disabled in the hub admin and the Mach flyout screen? That's what caused it for me...
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Largemouthlou »

I second the tip saver causing it.. Had that problem before on thin aluminum..
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics
Thor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Thor »

I have it enabled, so you think I should disable it on the really thin stuff? I guess that would make sense, it has to react faster to follow warping and with it on it thinks its diving so just stays put. I'll try it.
Thor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Thor »

I tried turning it off on some 22 ga ss. the parts I cut it jumps up and down rapidly in some of the intricate cuts where it goes in and comes back out almost on same path.

So looks like I have to have the anti dive turned on, or figure out how to adjust the dthc response rate.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”