Difficulties cutting A2 tool steel with powermax45... also wondering if I should upgrade to XP

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Difficulties cutting A2 tool steel with powermax45... also wondering if I should upgrade to XP

Post by jimcolt »

There is a section in the Hypertherm operators manuals called "inspecting consumables". Jim Colt Hypertherm

"After trying several more things I eventually gave in to replacing the new electrode and nozzle. Grrrr.
Here are some pictures of the old ones, not sure exactly what they are supposed to look like as I've not paid that close of attention before.
I'd appreciate any insight on their wear pattern."
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Difficulties cutting A2 tool steel with powermax45... also wondering if I should upgrade to XP

Post by steel 35 »

Plasma Shootist wrote:
steel 35 wrote:Not trying to get into the A2 VS D2 thing but I Have very good results cutting D2 with book settings finish is very smooth, The pieces drop but as you pictures show the tiny little pieces of Dross are very hard. Glad I don't grind them.
Looking forward to seeing results from your determination.
By book settings, do you mean for MS or book settings for SS?
As for the dross, have you tried taking pliers to them?
I'm also curious about what angle you see at the edges...
Here are the lead ins, Overcut I use may help you but each machine is different! Mild steel settings.
lead in.JPG
lead in.JPG (53.66 KiB) Viewed 377 times
The tapper on a rounded corner
IMG_2188.JPG

The little bit of dross I leave for a friend to deal with these are All drops from a set I did yesterday no pics of the pieces there gone already.
IMG_2178.JPG
Your stainless looks incredible, I gave up on it long ago except for my own needs, it's still uggly :cry:
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Inkscape, Solid Edge, Sheetcam, Autocad 2K
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”