parts look better with a drag tip than with a shielded tip on plasma cam

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
destroyer000
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

parts look better with a drag tip than with a shielded tip on plasma cam

Post by destroyer000 »

ive got a plasma cam i use at our shop. I pretty much self taught myself how to use it. it has advanced design edge with basic torch height control. the basic torch height i cant seem to get it to work correctly . my setting are according to hypertherms setting in the book for the powermax 85 unit and i seem to have better results with using a drag tip and my own setting. for example, 1/4 steel i have my amps set for 69 and 45 ipm, kerf is .073 cut looks very decent hardly and dross . if i use this same spec and run the 220817 cap instead of the 220818 cut quality isnt there. edge is tapered more . anyone have any ideas? also i usually set my thc manually. i hit the sheet and raise it up a little.. would be nice to get the thc on the plasma cam program to work. maybe thats my issue?
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: parts look better with a drag tip than with a shielded tip on plasma cam

Post by WyoGreen »

The drag tip has built in offset. So when you use the drag tip you are getting a bigger cut gap than when you use the other tip.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The best cut quality with the Powermax85 on a Plasmacam that has advanced height control and ohmic contact:

- You need to use the mechanized consumables as listed in the many pages of mechanized cut charts in your Powermax operators manual. I strongly suggest the Finecut consumables (using the 948 shield) for 26 gauge through 10 gauge, the 45 amp shielded (using the 817 shield) for 14 gauge through 1/4", the 65 amps shielded for 1/4" through 5/8" and the 85 amp shielded for 1/2" and thicker. Best cut edge angularity is achieved by matching the lowest power to the thickness ranges listed in the charts. Cutting 1/4" at 86 amps will produce far more edge taper than if you used the 45 amp shielded consumables at 45 amps.
- Cut height controls angularity and dross formation. By just "bumping up" the height you have no idea of the height. The physical cut heights listed in the cut charts are what Hypertherm engineers developed the torch and consumables to work best at....we have done the test cutting for you. Higher height equals worse angularity, period.
- The shield on a Hypertherm torch adds technology called "conical flow" (it is patented). When you use the 817 shield it uses the shield cooling flow to surround the plasma arc as it enters the nozzle....and this air increases arc air energy density providing cleaner, squarer cut edges. If you prefer to cut non-shielded expect more dross and angularity as well as shorter nozzle life.
- If you look in the Hypertherm operators manual in the mechanized cut chart section you will find there are shields, deflectors, nozzles, swirl rings, electrodes and retaining caps. There is no part called a tip. (some manufacturers call a nozzle a tip, others call the electrode a tip, still others call the shield a tip. To minimize confusion we call the parts by the engineering names.
- I would agree from your description that you need to get your Torch Height Control working....I suggest joining the Plasmacam owners community....there are many experts on there that will help you get it sorted out.

FYI...here are the specs for best cuts on 1/4" steel: Cut height: .06" (1/16"), Pierce height: .15", Pierce Delay: .6 seconds, Best quality cut speed: 48 inches per minute. Amperage: 45 Consumables: Shield: 220817, Retaining cap: 220953 (ohmic), Nozzle: 220941, Electrode: 220842, Swirl ring: 220857. If you cut using these specs (exactly) you will get a cut that looks like this:
Powermax45 edge angle 003.jpg
Powermax45 edge angle 003.jpg (28.45 KiB) Viewed 769 times
destroyer000
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by destroyer000 »

jim, thank you very much for chiming in! i was hoping you would. i tried to send you a pm but because iam a new member i wasnt able to. ive been reading up on a few sites and watched some videos that you produced on the plasma cam and what not.. always full of information! thanks for the help!

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”