Finecut Woes

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
philb86
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Finecut Woes

Post by philb86 »

Been quite awhile since I have posted anything concerning my original post. I have done a ton of different testing with fine cuts since then. What I have found out to be true, atleast for me, is that there is definately some sort of break in period with my fine cuts. When the fine cuts are brand new, I can slow the speed down to about 75% of book on 16 gauge and get a decent cut, at normal cut and pierce height. Anything over 16 ga when the nozzles are new, is a waste of time for me, due the the randomness of when it cuts through the material and does not. After about 750 inchs of cut and 100 pierces the consumables seem to begin to work more efficiently for me, where I am able to speed of to about 90% of book on 16 ga, and I can be successful in cutting 14 ga and 1/8" at that point, with those two I am able to run at roughly the same speed.

Still seems like black magic to me, but atleast I am able to use the supply that I have, and as well been able to cut more detailed pieces as well.

Happy Friday everyone, now off to figure out my excessive dross issues on 5/16" aluminum. Any one have any specs that they are using to cut that for their tool in sheet cam. I had to do some interpolated values between 1/4" and 3/8" since 5/16" isnt listed in the book. 65A shielded consumables, 124V per line cutt test, started at 75IPM now I am up to 90 IPM with voltages adjusted per a different straight line test cut. .15 pierce, .06 cut, .6 delay.
Merica_Metal
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Merica_Metal »

I got all my fine cut consumables today and was all excited only to be really really angry at the out come. After a sheet of 14ga it started to improve. When I say improve I mean I only had to use my cutting wheel a little bit.

Interested to know what you have your speed and voltage settings etc. on running 14ga was.
2017 Shop Sabre SideKick 4
Upgrades: Marker/Plotter, Laser sights, Engraver
Hypertherm PM65
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Run at book speed, book settings for pierce height, pierce delay, set the cut height (for 14, 12 and 10 gauge) to .075 - .080", after a few test cuts adjust your voltage (height control) to maintain the cut height during steady state cutting. The Fine cut parts need accurate height control and a bit higher than book specs of .06"......as stated above run at .075 to .08". This will solve issues of not fully penetrating. Jim Colt Hypertherm

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”