Lead in help

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
cfmetalworks
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Lead in help

Post by cfmetalworks »

I was wondering if I need to adjust something with my lead ins? In the photo below you can see where the lead in is there is a little notch. Does anyone know I need to change to fix this? I'm using a circular lead in figuring it would be smoother.

Thanks
Attachments
the notch is on the inside of the letters.
the notch is on the inside of the letters.
cut.jpg (83.06 KiB) Viewed 986 times
jason.jason.p
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Lead in help

Post by jason.jason.p »

What software are you using? Do you have a CAM program generating the lead ins or are you drawing them in CAD?
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

The following is how I set mine others may be different.
No lead-ins or lead-outs when cutting artwork and lettering.
Very little to no pierce delay on 14 ga. and thinner.
Set the pierce height closer so I don't have a divot.
larrycameron44
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by larrycameron44 »

Hi this is my opinion based on some observations on my machine. The divot is caused at the end of the cut as the plasma reaches the end of cut and the piece drops out and you get a longer bigger arc blast just before the drop out piece drops.
I discovered after reading a lot on here to set a "overlap" of 1.5-3mm (depending on thickness ) so the plasma stays on the path after cutting out the piece and this lessens or smooths out the end divot.
Just my observations.
The other thing I do is choose my lead in point. I like to place on sharp corners, sometimes this is not possible due to the design, so I will place the lead in where, if you were looking at the finished article the divot would not be obvious when the item is hung or placed in its location.

Larry Cameron
RusticMetalArt

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”