Short Circuit Error on PlasmaCAM

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
arasport
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Short Circuit Error on PlasmaCAM

Post by arasport »

We bought a used DHC2 about six weeks ago and it's been working great. Yesterday I cut several small items with no trouble. After it cut the last one it made what seemed to me a strange noise when it moved up the z axis before heading home. When it got to home I got an error message "short circuit in power to one or more of these motors carriage gantry z". I tried to reinitialize, but continued to receive this same error. At first I could hear it trying to move on the y axis, and it moved about 12'' down on the y axis (which was weird), then stopped. After that my attempts to initialize did not move or get a response from the gantry.

Last night we tested all three of the motors and they checked out fine in both resistance and continuity. We put power (12V) to the z motor and it did not turn at all. I know it is a 24V motor, but you'd think it would have turned a bit with 12 volts. Nothing seems to be locked up. However one weird thing, when moving the gantry on the y axis it moves very freely going towards the controller, but is very hard to move towards the "home" position with the y axis motor hooked up. When we disconnect the y motor, it moves the same in both directions.

So, we will call PlasmaCAM in the morning, but just wondering if anyone had any ideas of what might be wrong. We are thinking wiring harness, controller, or z motor at this point. Thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you!
Jan Halter
Yellow Pony Designs
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Short Circuit Error on PlasmaCAM

Post by rdj357 »

I replied over on the Owner's Community with a link to the testing instructions from PlasmaCam Technical Support. Hope it helps!

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”