Powermax 65 adjusting voltage

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
465stroker
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Powermax 65 adjusting voltage

Post by 465stroker »

New guy here. I have a Powermax 65 and have been busy entering my cut charts into sheetcam.
My question is where do I enter the "volts" value?
In manual mode I can only adjust amperage & psi on the plasma cutter.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Powermax 65 adjusting voltage

Post by jimcolt »

Voltage settings are used for height control. The voltages listed in the Hypertherm cut charts are the setting you would use to maintain the correct height assuming you are cutting the thickness listed on the chart at the cut speed, amperage and with the consumable set listed as well. Higher voltage will make the height control adjust the torch higher off the material, lower voltage will make the torch run closer, or drag on the material. Ideally you want an arc voltage that maintains the correct physical cut height (also on the charts, usually .060" on a Hypertherm) during steady state cutting. Thicker material requires a longer arc, a longer arc requires more arc voltage than a shorter arc, so the height control system uses the arc voltage (measured electronically between the torch electrode and the material being cut) as a reference for maintaining and correcting height.

So, depending on the CNC machine, the electronics and the type of height control system: Sometimes the voltga eis set in the torch height control, sometimes the voltage is set in the Mach 3 or Linux (or other machine control software) screens, on some systems (like Plasmacam) the voltage is automatically set based on what you set as the physical cut height (auto voltage sampling). Jim Colt Hypertherm
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Powermax 65 adjusting voltage

Post by steel 35 »

Left side Tools, Or in the Operation as your using them. If you have all the options required for them to function?
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Inkscape, Solid Edge, Sheetcam, Autocad 2K
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”