Air Dryer install?

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Air Dryer install?

Post by gamble »

Picked up this compressed air dryer from HF online.
http://www.harborfreight.com/compressed ... 40211.html

The regulator on the compressor broke so I've been using a 3 foot hose to another regulator, then the motorguard m60 filter.
I am using this 29 gallon compressor http://www.harborfreight.com/29-gal-2-h ... 61489.html
Now that I have the air dryer, what's the best/correct order to plumb it all in?

I was thinking the compressor -> regulator -> air dryer -> motorguard m60 -> hypertherm air filtration kit (on back of the plasma)

Or do I put the regulator after the air dryer?
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
Dana gear
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Air Dryer install?

Post by Dana gear »

We always plumbed our air systems in this order, Air Compressor then water traps with automatic drains (we run two) then on to air drier after that Motor guard air filters and at the end the air regulators. Keep the moisture out of the regulators.
The Hypertherm units we operate have coalescing units on them.
Everybody's needs and uses are different, we have a little higher humidity at time here.
We run both piston and rotary screw compressors and when we are at full throttle the automatic drains on the water traps combined probably dump a gallon of water in a 12 hour cycle and even the driers dribble a little all day.
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

I just got done playing and right now i have it as this

compressor -> regulator -> m60 -> dryer

The regulator has a water trap built in. Is that ok or do I need a different one? Looking to keep this as maintenance free as possible too.

Next I need to find a 90* fittings and short pipe so I can add a drain to the comrpessor without getting under it.
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

I don't know which way is better, but this is what I have tried -

Going off of the diagrams I have seen, I have compressor, main regulator with simple water trap, dryer, water trap, air filter, oil filter, and then desiccant dryer. Everything after the dryer was installed to mainly do the job of the dryer to keep moisture out (dirt, too). Now that I have a dryer, I can see the desiccant dryer's pink silica has returned to a white/opaque color and aft water traps have never had any water in them since the dryer was installed. I am almost ready to reduce the number of filters (obstructions) after the dryer, but haven't yet. I believe the water traps work more efficiently when the air is cooler. The main reason I have a regulator before is to protect anything from the higher PSI that the compressor can produce which is higher than the max rating of the dryer and filters in use.

I have not used the motorguard m60 filter, but thought these elements can get saturated greatly reducing air flow. I don't know this, just assuming, guessing.

I have installed 90°elbow under the compressor. Highly recommended!
Last edited by urbnsr on Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

If you leave the cartridge in the m60 long enough to be saturated, you've messed up big time.
The cartridges are to be changed out at least once a week. The aluminum will corrode under the powder coat and it will peal off. As the ole saying goes, ask me how I know :oops:
The air flow is not diminished enough to even notice.
In my opinion, the M60 is like money in the bank.
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

Old Iron wrote:If you leave the cartridge in the m60 long enough to be saturated, you've messed up big time.
The cartridges are to be changed out at least once a week. The aluminum will corrode under the powder coat and it will peal off. As the ole saying goes, ask me how I know :oops:
I hope not, those filters are $20 a piece
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

I'd say the change interval on a M60 depends on where you live. I live in whats considered a high altitude desert. My M60 filter has been in for 4 years now, and still shows absolutely no sign of moisture. I check it often especially when it rains, but all my moisture seems to be caught clear back at the compressor, with a tiny little bit once in a long while caught in my filter/regulator before the M60.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

gamble wrote:
Old Iron wrote:If you leave the cartridge in the m60 long enough to be saturated, you've messed up big time.
I hope not, those filters are $20 a piece
:) I bought a 6 pack on eday and I cycle them out once a week. I sit the others on the shelf and they dry out so I can reuse them.
I started with three and in a year I'm still using the same three.
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

the cooler the air is going into the air dryer the more efficient it will be
if you using rubber hose and daisy chain the components together you have marginal value from the air dryer
50 feet of copper pipe between the compressor to the first component will help a lot to drop the air temps
it doesn't need to be straight pipe, this one is a little extreme but it fits in the space provided and uses one drain

at the shop we dry air for plasma and a paint booth, we rarely have moisture in the red lines
usually due to a malfunction

bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by steel 35 »

gamble wrote:I just got done playing and right now i have it as this

compressor -> regulator -> m60 -> dryer :x

The regulator has a water trap built in. Is that ok or do I need a different one? Looking to keep this as maintenance free as possible too.

Next I need to find a 90* fittings and short pipe so I can add a drain to the comrpessor without getting under it.

(compressor -> regulator -> dryer -> m60) :D
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Inkscape, Solid Edge, Sheetcam, Autocad 2K
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”