Torch Height Issues

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
barnfabmetalworks
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Torch Height Issues

Post by barnfabmetalworks »

Hello Everyone,
Having some trouble with my torch height causing my torch to hang on my table. First off its a Star labs 5 by 10 with powermax 85 that I have had for a little over a year now and its a Very well built table. Recently had some issues with my blade runner box and condensation on my boards getting damaged. Sent it off to CandCNC and they got me straightened away( replaced some geko drives and repaired the THC board). When it came back it worked great but recently I've had to start setting the Arch voltage higher to keep from hanging my plate, and on fine cut with 16 gauge it seems to fluctuate. I also picked up the files from cncdxf files, which turn out amazing by the way, but after half way through the small stuff that doesn't need THC then it hangs up and ruins my piece when it does come on for long cuts gets aggravating(try to start with a long cut that requires THC first to get an idea). I've been cutting test lines with thc off to get an idea where to set it before starting parts and what used to take the book settings on fine cut start taking another 10 volts to clear, and happens on different amp tips. Example on a sheet of 16 ga, cut a pheasant from cncdxf and had to run 84 volts to clear(ran it all with no trouble), ran a bear cut out right next to it and pulled my torch off the mag lock multiple times. Had to bump up to 90 volts to keep my torch from diving. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Thank You, Walter McAllister
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Torch Height Issues

Post by acourtjester »

If you are having problems right at the start of the cutting with DTHC it may be the delay to hold off the DTHC until arc voltage has stabilized.
I run between 1 and 1.5 seconds. This is set in the tools in SheetCam see attached image.
delay.jpg
delay.jpg (41.01 KiB) Viewed 756 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
barnfabmetalworks
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by barnfabmetalworks »

It's not right in front of me now but I opened it y'all the way to 3 seconds with no luck, I believe it was starting at 1 second and I slowly added to it. Any way to disable the THC with a rule when hitting choppy cuts on thin gauge with fine cut?
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

you may contact Tom again or post on their web site for an answer for the original problem.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”