bending suggestions?

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

bending suggestions?

Post by steel 35 »

I am trying to bend Hot roll 3/16" with sharp dies its probably what I am doing wrong, getting it done but Have cracks at the ends, I like to put reliefs / Cheater lines in the but this piece I have cut twice while trying to fit it. I think this time will work but I lwould rather not have crack's, so I put a small radius on one end and am thinking it could help? Removing the center short relief?
I got a press brake that is a new way to me for bending, I learned long ago how to do it with a torch but would like suggestions to try and shorten the learning curve for future projects as well.

The bend is only 2 inch's and on the line is important, it's for me. :lol:
Attachments
bend.JPG
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Inkscape, Solid Edge, Sheetcam, Autocad 2K
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: bending suggestions?

Post by Gamelord »

How much are you bending it? That makes a big difference. 3/16 is getting thicker so bending is going to take a lot more than say...10 gauge. If you are only going less than 30degrees then you should be able to just bend away, more than that and you will start to get some cracking depending on how you are bending it. A Really tight bend is going to be tougher than a wider bend. I would probably heat it with a torch and then put it in the press if you want say...45 to 90 degrees.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

I bend 1/4 thick custom cut bar stock 90 degrees all the time with my press break. I built in little jags to "mark" the bend line on both sides, but the cracking on the edges seems unavoidable, I doubt your relief cuts will help either. The guy I make these for goes back and runs a welding bead to hide the cracking and strengthen the joint. I've never tried pre-heating the metal. I'll post some pics tomorrow if I get time.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by steel 35 »

90* Almost; :oops: I may put it back for another pump or two.
I made one more after the template test's and finally got my drawing right :roll: the bend's did come out much better without the open line (cheater) in the center as far as the radius don't know if it helped. Looks like I missed the bottom radius by the way it bulged didn't think I did. Will try a plane cold straight bend tomorrow maybe a preheated one as well. Thanks

Capstone; Would like to see your Jags. Someday I will most likely do something thicker.

1.JPG
1.JPG (72.24 KiB) Viewed 997 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (72.93 KiB) Viewed 997 times
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber
Paint Chip
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Paint Chip »

Perhaps an mid way anneal would help. You could try bending half to two thirds of way, heat to orange and let air cool. Then bend the rest of the way. Just a thought.
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by steel 35 »

Paint Chip wrote:Perhaps an mid way anneal would help. You could try bending half to two thirds of way, heat to orange and let air cool. Then bend the rest of the way. Just a thought.
Thanks for another Idea I hadn't heard of, that is what I am asking for :D
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”