All of a sudden consumables aren't lasting

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
sjo426
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

All of a sudden consumables aren't lasting

Post by sjo426 »

So the other day I changed out my consumables after usual use. However the new consumables I put in barely lasted 10 minutes, so I changed them out again and the same thing. It's like the nozzle part is just being burned up after the first few pierces. I have changed nothing, been using the same consumables for 3+ years (Genuine Hypertherm), absolutely nothing has changed from what I have been doing the last 3 years. Did I just come across some bad nozzles? I only have one new nozzle left and am afraid to use that one as I have an order due Friday. I've had zero consumable issues in my plasma cutting time and have no idea where to start trouble shooting. Thanks!
sphurley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: All of a sudden consumables aren't lasting

Post by sphurley »

Moisture? What has the weather been like? I know that finally getting rain in Southern California has caused me to clean my moisture trap a lot more often.
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
sjo426
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by sjo426 »

Thanks for the reply. It would seem, and like I said I've never had consumable issues, that the issue would be more progressive. I literally cut fine one day, changed consumables, and now it's burning through nozzles.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

I'd be happy to help you out....I need pictures of the inside and outside of a "bad" nozzle, pictures of the shield (inside and outside) a pic of the tip of the electrode. Let me know what you are cutting (material and thickness) what cut specs are you using? (pierce height, pierce delay, cut height, arc voltage, amperage) etc.

There are a number of things that can cause a nozzle to fail on the first pierce, pictures will help us figure out what is the problem.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
sjo426
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by sjo426 »

Thanks Jim. So 've added a few pics, but when I was checking the amps I noticed that the toggle switch was in the down position and while I'm not entirely sure that is for I'm about certain it has always been in the middle position. The nozzle (may not show in the pics) almost look like they are burnt at a 45 degree angle.

For a few of your questions......I'm cutting 12 gauge mild steel, pierce/cut height is just manually adjusted, and as you can see my amps are set at 40.

Thanks
Shane
Attachments
2-2-2017 9-19-06 AM.jpg
2-2-2017 9-19-06 AM.jpg (75.71 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
2-2-2017 9-07-15 AM.jpg
2-2-2017 9-07-15 AM.jpg (13.42 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
2-2-2017 9-07-01 AM.jpg
2-2-2017 9-07-01 AM.jpg (21.92 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
2-2-2017 9-06-21 AM.jpg
2-2-2017 9-06-21 AM.jpg (25.5 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
AndrewMawson
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by AndrewMawson »

I reckon that the 'down' position of that switch is for gouging, the 'up' position is for mesh, and the middle position is for normal sheet.
4x4 DIY Plasma Table
Hypertherm PM45
Purelogic THC
Mach3
Sheetcam
Inkscape
sjo426
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by sjo426 »

Would having a non gouging nozzle installed with that setting on mean that the nozzle would be "blown" out?
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Thanks for asking about this as it's just made me look at the manual and realize I have been using the wrong position for the mode switch, FFS! :oops:
I kept checking it was at the top position.
The shield you are using there is for hand cutting and not suitable for machine cutting.
45.jpg
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
sjo426
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by sjo426 »

Oh wow, I've been using those shields for 3+ years. What shield should I be using?
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

220673 is the one for machine use.
The hand torch shield wont be cutting at the right height unless it's dragging over the plate.
Panic over with my switch setting, just checked it was right, it's very easy to flick it when you adjust the amps knob.
Attachments
Powermax 45.jpg
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

In the gouging mode the ramp up amperage rate as well as the air pressure are different for use with the gouging nozzle. This will cause rapid nozzle orifice wear and poor cut quality when used with the cutting nozzle. In the expanded metal cutting mode.....the unit will rapidly switch back to pilot mode (an arc from electrode to nozzle instead of electrode to plate)......this mode is the only way to cut expanded metal, but is tough on the nozzle orifice.

The hand cutting shield maintains the correct arc length when dragging on the material. If you use this shield and run with a standoff of .060" or more....the arc length will be twice as long as it should be, the nozzle will wear faster, you will have excess edge taper, and very drossy cuts.

The machine shield is recommended for all mechanized cutting as suggested in the mechanized cut charts in the operators manual.....and it is designed to cut with a standoff as listed in the cut charts....for most materials the correct height for torch standoff is .060" for mechanized cutting.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
sjo426
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by sjo426 »

Thanks a bunch, learned a ton!

Shane

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”