Bevel Issue - 3/4plate - PM85

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
turbocobra
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Bevel Issue - 3/4plate - PM85

Post by turbocobra »

I was just looking at Motoguy's issue with the beveling. I have something similar but more severe.

Can you watch this short video and let me know your thoughts?

I have made sure the torch is square to the work. PM85, 85amp shield consumables(Hypertherm brand, not generic). Running Rotary Compressor with dryer (10HP 120gal tank)

I went by the specs reccomended by Hypthertherm on cut speed, pierce height, pierce delay, etc. Specs call for 24IPM. I have ran as slow as 8 IPM, the one cut in the video was cut at 12IPM.

The Bevel always seems to be in the same direction, and the bevel also has an arc to it, it's not a flat beveled edge.

Also if you notice on the 3/8" piece there is some slight beveling, but also the edge quality isn't very smooth.

Thoughts?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2KD4KIUMiQ
WyoGreen
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Bevel Issue - 3/4plate - PM85

Post by WyoGreen »

Have you changed your consumables out to new ones? A divot in the side of the hole in the nozzle will cause a bevel in just one direction.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

.375 cut with 45 amps.. It should be almost bevel free or close. Real nice amp to thickness ratio for the Powermax machines .

.750 will have less bevel when cutting on 65 amps.. Try those two things before you move on..Since you are edge starting anyway, the 65 should give you a better look..I say give the 65 amp stuff a try, to see if you have much Bevel. If you do, there is something wrong elsewhere. BTW the 85 amps will pierce .750 .. I have done done it fine with my 65 without issues too. (5/8 rated) You are looking at some production spec for the Hypertherm 85 pierce rating..
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Looking at the image in the video it look like the bevel is in one direction (red arrows) and not in the other (blue arrows)
you either have a dimple like Wyogreen said or the torch is angled in that direction, most likely the dimple. Use a sharpie and make the shield in the direction of the bevel and take it off and look at it real good.
forgot to attach the image :oops:
bevel.jpg
bevel.jpg (60.98 KiB) Viewed 1262 times
Last edited by acourtjester on Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BTA Plasma »

Is your Hypertherm set to auto for air? Or manual? Your loosing velocity or your actual torch is not square to your material.
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Did you change your O-Ring?
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
donn92
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by donn92 »

you might want to use a second ground as we had the same problem with our pm1650 and when we talked to our machines tech line they suggested that we were getting rf noise and a secondary ground from the grounding rod into the ground to the plate worked for us but 3/4 plate is the max thickness our machine would cut also chech your air pressue

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”