Plasma Cutter Settings

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
rhastert
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Plasma Cutter Settings

Post by rhastert »

I am new to using my CNC machine from Torchmate and am having a hard time getting the settings on the plasma cutter to cut nice. I have a Hypotherm 65 and primarily cut 14ga metal. Could someone help me with how to set the machine correctly? amps, psi and speed?

Thank you in advance.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Plasma Cutter Settings

Post by acourtjester »

I use the fine cut nozzle and 78 volts pierce at 0.090" and cut at 0.060" at 150 IPM
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

Your Hypertherm manual should have the cut charts for you. If you don't have it, google it.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
noclinkers
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by noclinkers »

38amp on the machine (HT65) 0.090"/ 0.060" /85v /125 ipm in vmd is were I get some nice cuts, but there are a lot of reasons why this might not work for you. Each table is different and some times each day according to conditions.
Edit: This is using fine cut.
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

noclinkers wrote:38amp on the machine (HT65) 0.090"/ 0.060" /85v /125 ipm in vmd is were I get some nice cuts, but there are a lot of reasons why this might not work for you. Each table is different and some times each day according to conditions.
Edit: This is using fine cut.
Personalty I like around your setting too.. (HT65) I also use lower amp setting for my Victor too with excellent results.. Not always,but sometimes the sweet spot on how your table runs, trumps any factory setting..Settings are baselines, and are not absolute parameters for getting what you want in a cut piece.. I generally run factory cut heights, because those are pretty standard things..
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Open your operators manual up to the mechanized cut charts. Use the Fine cut low speed chart if you want to stay under 150 ipm om materials thinner than 10 gauge. Follow these specs exactly and you will get good cuts. One change I would suggest for 14 ga, 12 ga and 10 ga is to increase the cut height from the chart spec of .06" to about .075" if the cut is not getting all the way through the material.

The cut charts are correct and will provide excellent quality. Increase speed to minimize dross, decrease speed for squarer edges.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

The chart I posted is from the operators manual, it is for Finecut consumables used at 30, 40 and 45 amps. Use shield # 220948 as listed in the manual.
finecut low speed.png

rhastert wrote:I am new to using my CNC machine from Torchmate and am having a hard time getting the settings on the plasma cutter to cut nice. I have a Hypotherm 65 and primarily cut 14ga metal. Could someone help me with how to set the machine correctly? amps, psi and speed?

Thank you in advance.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”