Need to Increase Kerf Width

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Stout
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Need to Increase Kerf Width

Post by Stout »

I have a job cutting 3/16" mild steel that requires 0.125" slots. From the PM105 cut chart, I see max kerf at 0.080". Has anyone experimented with slowing the machine speed and increasing arc volts to get a wider kerf? Maybe both and increasing amperage also.

The drawing shows open profiles. I don't think making them closed and a "loop" will work due to loss of arc voltage which might cause the torch to dive. It just doesn't look like enough material to keep the voltage up. But I'm not sure right now.
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
Sector Technologies Photon 5x10 water table machine with Hypertherm Micro Edge Controller, Powermax 105
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: Need to Increase Kerf Width

Post by Gamelord »

I would make them a slot instead of a line. Shouldn't havce any problems with diving because the hole would still be very small. I wouldn't mess with the speed or you will end up with a massive dross issue and probably still not get the right width.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
Bigrhamr
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bigrhamr »

Does your software/controller allow you to turn THC off for that specific cut path if you make it a slot? Or depending on how long the slot is turn THC off after it goes down one side and is ready to turn around?
I agree that trying to widen the kerf with a single cut will most likely make a mess, if you experiment and find differently please post up the results.
Stout

Post by Stout »

Bigrhamr wrote:Does your software/controller allow you to turn THC off for that specific cut path if you make it a slot? Or depending on how long the slot is turn THC off after it goes down one side and is ready to turn around?
I agree that trying to widen the kerf with a single cut will most likely make a mess, if you experiment and find differently please post up the results.
My CAM software is ProNest and I don't think I can turn off THC on the return path. And there are hundreds of these lines.
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
Sector Technologies Photon 5x10 water table machine with Hypertherm Micro Edge Controller, Powermax 105
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

I cut very narrow slots with my Pm65 and have no problem. On the return pass the voltage goes up a few volts but nothing to worry about.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Narrow slots should be cut using the lowest powered consumables with the narrowest kerf. Use the Finecut consumables at book specs. The Hypertherm Micro-Edge cnc control should automatically defeat the arc voltage feedback height control......so there should not be a diving issue. You should be able to do a great job on .125" wide slots. Jim Colt Hypertherm

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”