Cutting 3 sheets at a time

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Overkill Ironworks
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Cutting 3 sheets at a time

Post by Overkill Ironworks »

I have recently taken a large order for 16ga signs. I usually cut 16 ga at 45 amp and 250 IPM which is the fasted my machine will reliably cut. However I get much better cut quality and less errors at lower speed. So I have been cutting 3- 5x10x16 cold rolled sheets at the same time, using my 7 ga cut settings 100 ipm at 45 amps. It works well and reduced errors to next to nothing, but I end up with 3 parts practically welded together. I have tried several methods, including soaking in Muriatic acid, air chisel, and prying them apart, but I was just wondering if any one else has figured out a trick. I have tried spraying anti spatter spray on both sided of the touching sheets, but it makes no difference. The best way i have found is a combination of blunt force trauma and a couple long screw drivers. Any help would be appreciated.

6x12 Heavy table
CandCNC commandcnc
Powermax 85
Air Dryer
Filters

Thanks

Jeremy
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Cutting 3 sheets at a time

Post by little blue choo »

Sounds to me like OVERKILL! LOL Sorry I had to do it. I have never heard of anyone cutting 3 sheets at a time. Sounds like the time to separate and clean up would be longer than just doing 3 cuts.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by steel 35 »

Propane is the only thing I have seen cut stacks clean that's affordable?
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Inkscape, Solid Edge, Sheetcam, Autocad 2K
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber
matcauthen
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by matcauthen »

This forum suggests clamping the plates tightly together.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?25 ... ple-layers
Calypso Mark IV Waterjet, Durma AD-S Break
Solidworks, Draftsight, Inkscape
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

I have seen it done successfully a few times. Large parts with weights stacked near the cut edges to hold the sheets tightly together.

How about putting multiple torches on the machine and cut identical parts simultaneously. I have seen as many as 8 plasma torches on a single gantry.....very common to see two.

Jim Colt Hypertherm.
Overkill Ironworks
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Overkill Ironworks »

Ok thanks for the suggestions guys! I was contemplating building a frame that I could clamp down to the table over the sheets, that might be worth a shot. Jim, the multiple torch is an idea I have toyed with, but between constant consumable stuck issues (grrr) and torch height variables, one torch is enough for me for right now. LITTLE BLUE CHOO, it takes my helper about an hour to separate 25 pieces which yields 75 parts, the 7ga setting takes about 11 minutes to cut each part x3 instead of 7 minutes to cut each single part at the 16 ga setting (assuming there are no errors). So the way I figure at 7minutes X 75 parts that takes a total of 525 cutting minutes, while the 11 minutes x 25 parts is 275 cutting minutes. That is about half the power, half the wear and tear on the plasma and air compressor, and half the time I have to deal with the freaking consumable stuck issue that has plagued my Powermax 85 since the very first pierce. Maybe I should hook it up to the propane tank!;) just kidding.
tnttracy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by tnttracy »

its been some time now, but i had a 26guage job over 50sheets and only 2 different cut files. about 1.5hr cut time per sheet at 230ipm 28amps (fastest i could get reliable thc responce dthcII) i tried stacking and it was a no go. after the job was done i priced out a local waterjet company, it would have been a decent savings in money and a huge savings in time to hire it out. the next job that comes up like this i'll have waterjet cut.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”