Powermax 65 and piercing 3/4 is this doable

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Lance G
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Powermax 65 and piercing 3/4 is this doable

Post by Lance G »

Has anyone pierced 3/4" mild steel with good success with the powermax 65? I have 10 pieces to do tonight only about 8x14 big and didnt want to have to predrill if i didnt have too. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Lance
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Powermax 65 and piercing 3/4 is this doable

Post by Brand X »

It will cut it excellent.. I cut it before but never saved the setting.. I did raise the pierce height to .1700 only because I did not want to waste my only shield I had.. Used the book 15 ipm, and .060 cut height. (141 volts) .105 kerf.. (pretty close).1.5 pierce delay.. 2 second THC delay worked fine too..

You might wear consumables out a bit quicker, but the machine handles it fine.. Yes, Duty-cycle is the reason for the 85 machine, but not cut quality with .750../65 amps..

It's really a sweet spot with the 65 amp consumables.. IMO..

I am use to piercing with 120 amp/100/90 amp machines. Other then the longer Pierce times, not really much difference in how it all works.. :mrgreen: I use run 70 amps on my Esab, and 80/70 amps on my Thermal for quality cuts on .750.. Makes sense the Hypertherm is excellent with a bit lower amp consumables too..That is why I am waiting for the new low amp stuff for thinner MS.. :lol:
Attachments
.750 ms hyper.jpg
.750 ms hyper.jpg (136.14 KiB) Viewed 1606 times
Lance G

Post by Lance G »

Thank you. This is great. I really appreciate it. Looking forward to trying this tonight.

Lance
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The Hypertherm factory spec for the 65 amp process for piercing is 5/8". To achieve that specification we need to do 300 pierces without damaging the shield or nozzle to the point that cut quality is affected. You can pierce thicker at 65 amps, but expect shorter shield/nozzle life. I have on occasion had to pierce thicker materials.....I use an old shield and an old nozzle...and modify a layer on the cut file to just do all the pierces. Then replace with good consumables and effectively start in the pre-pierced holes. Use about 1/2 the recommended pierce delay time as this will effectively be edge starting. Jim Colt Hypertherm
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

Can the PM85 pierce 3/4" or 1"?
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

All the 1/3 phase machines in the top amp bracket are rated for .750 pierce with a machine torch.. The 120/100 amp Victor, Esab 90 amp, and Hypertherm 85..

Same process would be in affect for 7/8-1 inch piercing, as 65 amp machine piercing 3/4 inch.. I have a Smith O/A-( correct propane setup too) that will handle any MS stuff thicker then 3/4 They cut 1 inch at the same speed as a Hypertherm 85, etc.. Plus any thicker it really has way less issues then a 1/3 phase air plasma will have overall.. Straight as a arrow cutting...duty-cycle ,amp draw is not even close.. :lol:
Should be able to cut 6 inch thick no problem in my home shop, without even breaking a sweat.. :D The hypertherm can cut 1.25 really nice, but just not every time you cut it.. My friend has a 85 on his table, and really prefers O/A on thicker MS..
Attachments
thick ms.jpg
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

jimcolt wrote:The Hypertherm factory spec for the 65 amp process for piercing is 5/8". To achieve that specification we need to do 300 pierces without damaging the shield or nozzle to the point that cut quality is affected. You can pierce thicker at 65 amps, but expect shorter shield/nozzle life. I have on occasion had to pierce thicker materials.....I use an old shield and an old nozzle...and modify a layer on the cut file to just do all the pierces. Then replace with good consumables and effectively start in the pre-pierced holes. Use about 1/2 the recommended pierce delay time as this will effectively be edge starting. Jim Colt Hypertherm
good to know. i will file this away in my memory banks for future use. thanks again jim colt :mrgreen:
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

.I use an old shield and an old nozzle...and modify a layer on the cut file to just do all the pierces. Then replace with good consumables and effectively start in the pre-pierced holes. Use about 1/2 the recommended pierce delay time as this will effectively be edge starting. Jim Colt Hypertherm
Would like more details about this process. What is the tool set up to get just a pierce, or are you hand writing g-code?
How do you get edge starts from the pierce points?
Maybe a separate post or sticky explaining the procedure.
TIA
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

I use Plasmacam software....there is no GCode. It is easy to locate the pierce points and just pierce with no movement. You will have to ask the company that makes your machine software how this can be done. Jim Colt
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Contact Les a Sheetcam, and ask him the best way to get it done.. I think you will have few issues with your consumables, if you are not piercing a whole bunch of start points.. My shield/nozzle looked real good after cutting a few test cuts.. Just put a pause you g-code to see if you are having a issue or not. Pretty simple, and probably all you need to do.. If you put in a decent amount of lead in.. the stag-pile does not even seem to be a issue either..

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”