Please Help! CNC table&PM85 issues...

Discussion on 0-30 fault codes
zj2203
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Please Help! CNC table&PM85 issues...

Post by zj2203 »

About 3 months ago I got a Hypertherm Powermax 85 and ShopSabre Sidekick CNC table.
Been learning and cutting a variety of thicknesses between 16 gauge and 1 inch throughout this time using fine cut,45,65, and 85 consumables- have ran into a few issues along the way and have tried to troubleshoot by reading others posts and searching the internet. Some cuts have been great with little dross, while other cuts would not cut through consistently and gave us other various issues. Altering the cut speed, cut height, and voltage from book settings would solve our issues most of the time, but not always, and sometimes we would be left scratching our heads.

Noticed today for the first time that the plasma cutter has been set on the "gouging" setting- more than likely it's been on this setting for the entirety that I have had the table and been using it. So, with that being said, I have been using the full length machine torch, with all of the machine torch and finecut consumables on the gouging setting unknowingly. I changed the setting to the "normal cutting" setting and then immediately got 0-12 and 0-20 codes when trying to cut. I have the optional hypertherm filter attached at the back of my 85 with a regulator between this connection and the regulator consistently reads 90. The air compressor is about roughly 60 feet away from the plasma cutter/table so there is quite a long hose connection and I don't have any other filtration currently besides what I mentioned above.
I noticed in the operators manual under the gouging metal section it reads "using this mode while cutting results in poor cut quality" so this may be a game changer for my learning curve once I get things right... but still have some things to figure out and hoping someone can help..

Few questions:
1. Is it likely all my consumable parts are going to need replaced since I have been running them with the plasma cutter on "gouge"? What other issues would running it on this setting when trying to perform normal drag cuts cause?
2. Is it likely that I need to increase the amount of filtration I have within my set up to accommodate the cutting operating mode?

I appreciate any help or advice in advance...thank you
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Please Help! CNC table&PM85 issues...

Post by acourtjester »

It has been stated here many time to put a pressure gauge at the back of the plasma unit and have it showing over 100 PSI.
There have been many posts about clean dry air to be supplied to the plasma unit, air directly from a compressor most likely is not giving you that.
I don't know if the optional Hypertherm filter will do all that is needed at your location.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
zj2203
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by zj2203 »

Thanks for your help. I have red some posts about clean air and will look into that more throughout the various boards.
I didn't see any posts regarding accidentally performing drag cuts on the gouging setting and what effects that can have on your table, torch, consumables, etc. so please link me to any if I am missing that.

Thanks.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The 0-12 and 0-20 both usually indicate low input air pressure under air flow conditions at the torch. When the mode switch is in the gouge position...the air pressure to the torch is auto adjusted to a lower pressure, yet higher flow rate. So I suspect in this mode you may not get the 0-12 and 0-20 codes........while the cut mode position requires higher input pressure, which could indicate the codes if your inlet pressure is restricted or marginally low.

Running in the cut mode will get you better cut quality and longer consumable life as well.

I strongly suggest installing a pressure gauge after any filters, right at the air inlet on your Powermax85. Trigger the torch momentarily to flow air.....and watch this gauge, especially when your compressor is at the low pressure part of its cycle (often compressors activate at 90 psi and run until 120 psi, so check the gauge when the compressor just starts)...the inlet pressure after any filters, must be between 90 and 135 psi when air is flowing at the torch. Even a momentart drop below this will often activate one of the error codes mentioned. The air pressure is carefully monitored to control consumable life and to prevent damage to torch and consumables.

A plugged or saturated (moisture) filter, air lines that are too long, air lines that have too small of an inside diameter can all contribute to a large drop in pressure between your air compressor and the inlet to the plasma. Jim Colt Hypertherm

zj2203 wrote:About 3 months ago I got a Hypertherm Powermax 85 and ShopSabre Sidekick CNC table.
Been learning and cutting a variety of thicknesses between 16 gauge and 1 inch throughout this time using fine cut,45,65, and 85 consumables- have ran into a few issues along the way and have tried to troubleshoot by reading others posts and searching the internet. Some cuts have been great with little dross, while other cuts would not cut through consistently and gave us other various issues. Altering the cut speed, cut height, and voltage from book settings would solve our issues most of the time, but not always, and sometimes we would be left scratching our heads.

Noticed today for the first time that the plasma cutter has been set on the "gouging" setting- more than likely it's been on this setting for the entirety that I have had the table and been using it. So, with that being said, I have been using the full length machine torch, with all of the machine torch and finecut consumables on the gouging setting unknowingly. I changed the setting to the "normal cutting" setting and then immediately got 0-12 and 0-20 codes when trying to cut. I have the optional hypertherm filter attached at the back of my 85 with a regulator between this connection and the regulator consistently reads 90. The air compressor is about roughly 60 feet away from the plasma cutter/table so there is quite a long hose connection and I don't have any other filtration currently besides what I mentioned above.
I noticed in the operators manual under the gouging metal section it reads "using this mode while cutting results in poor cut quality" so this may be a game changer for my learning curve once I get things right... but still have some things to figure out and hoping someone can help..

Few questions:
1. Is it likely all my consumable parts are going to need replaced since I have been running them with the plasma cutter on "gouge"? What other issues would running it on this setting when trying to perform normal drag cuts cause?
2. Is it likely that I need to increase the amount of filtration I have within my set up to accommodate the cutting operating mode?

zj2203
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by zj2203 »

Jim,
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post- your response was helpful and I altered my set up with your suggestions and haven't gotten those codes any longer.
Shortly after learning I was on the gouging setting instead of cutting, I also learned what the THC Active Delay is, and how essential it is to use that especially on thicker stuff, so learning these two things this week has changed the game and my cut quality dramatically, haha. Glad I learned this 2 months in and not further down the road haha.

Thanks again.

jimcolt wrote:The 0-12 and 0-20 both usually indicate low input air pressure under air flow conditions at the torch. When the mode switch is in the gouge position...the air pressure to the torch is auto adjusted to a lower pressure, yet higher flow rate. So I suspect in this mode you may not get the 0-12 and 0-20 codes........while the cut mode position requires higher input pressure, which could indicate the codes if your inlet pressure is restricted or marginally low.

Running in the cut mode will get you better cut quality and longer consumable life as well.

I strongly suggest installing a pressure gauge after any filters, right at the air inlet on your Powermax85. Trigger the torch momentarily to flow air.....and watch this gauge, especially when your compressor is at the low pressure part of its cycle (often compressors activate at 90 psi and run until 120 psi, so check the gauge when the compressor just starts)...the inlet pressure after any filters, must be between 90 and 135 psi when air is flowing at the torch. Even a momentart drop below this will often activate one of the error codes mentioned. The air pressure is carefully monitored to control consumable life and to prevent damage to torch and consumables.

A plugged or saturated (moisture) filter, air lines that are too long, air lines that have too small of an inside diameter can all contribute to a large drop in pressure between your air compressor and the inlet to the plasma. Jim Colt Hypertherm

zj2203 wrote:About 3 months ago I got a Hypertherm Powermax 85 and ShopSabre Sidekick CNC table.

Few questions:

Return to “0-12 Fault Code”