RAPID WEAR AND OIL IN LINES????? HELP

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Doc Hollywood
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

RAPID WEAR AND OIL IN LINES????? HELP

Post by Doc Hollywood »

Hi Guys, @jimcolt
Today my consumables are wearing out almost instantly, like 45 seconds of torch on time. I don't normally have this problem...its not any more humid than normal here in Michigan. There is always a little moisture in my lines, and I usually get fantastic consumables life. Could my compressor be taking a dump, and letting oil blow-by into the compressor tank? See pics, there seems to be an oily residue on my torch's threads, and on my retaining cap. Am i buying a new compressor?!?! Figures this happens as i'm prepping for a craft show!!!!!

IMG_3339.JPG
IMG_3337.JPG
IMG_3341.JPG
plasmapros
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: RAPID WEAR AND OIL IN LINES????? HELP

Post by plasmapros »

It certainly looks like you have contamination in your air lines that needs to be dealt with. A little moisture is OK but none would be better, oil in the lines however needs to be dealt with. Do you have a good filter system that can remove oil and moisture like this one? http://plasmaspider.com/shop/dryer_sharpe6760.html Even once you put a filter system in place it will take some time to clear out the contamination already in your torch lead but things will get better and better as you run it.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

If there is oil you should see some sign of it in the onboard coalescing filter bowl. Take it apart and see if there is oily residue inside. Make sure your consumables are genuine Hypertherm, be sure inlet pressure is correct (90 to 120 psi with air flowing at the torch...measured with a gauge hard plumbed to the inlet....not back ate the compressor).. Jim Colt Hypertherm
Doc Hollywood
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Doc Hollywood »

Hi gents,
No sign of oil in the filter inside the pm45. I buy genuine parts, as they are worth it! I run an inexpensive harbor freight air filter/separator, which once I inspected it was completely fouled with oil and water. I threw it in the trash, got another one just for the time being. Seems to have cured the problem for now. Does that descant unit by sharp cost a lot to run? How long does the descant last? What are you guys spending a year on it?
Thanks! Doc
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

Hi Doc, descant is for moisture only and any oil will ruin it. I purchased mine on Amazon and paid about $30 for a 1 gallon jug. It can be reclaimed by baking it in a oven until it turns blue again. Therefore a gallon jug will last several years before you will have to start reclaiming it.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... cant+beads

Hope this helps
Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
Doc Hollywood
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Doc Hollywood »

Thanks Rick,
that's pretty much what i was looking to hear!
Doc
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I have been using a cat litter called Mini litter very cheap works great and is silica gel.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mimi-Litter- ... s/12018928
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”