Cutting 1 1/4

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
gsi
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Cutting 1 1/4

Post by gsi »

I have a customer that is wanting some 1 1/4 mild steel plate cut. I have a dynatorch superb with a TD A80. I'm looking for some good settings to cut this. I'm trying to cut it on 100 amps with 100 amp consumables. I've tried the book settings and it doesn't cut all the way through. When I slow it down, it seems to loose arc transfer voltage and stops cutting. The book settings are AV 128, WH 0.18, 8 IPM. Suggestions?
Diesel
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Cutting 1 1/4

Post by Diesel »

Sorry, I don't have any advice for a Thermal Dynamics setup, but cutting material that thick is entirely possible with good results.

I cut some 1-1/4" with my Hypertherm Powermax85 at 85 amps using the book settings - 7 ipm.
You have to edge start since piercing isn't an option for material that thick - at least not with an 85 amp Hypertherm.

The results were better than I expected.
In the bottom half of the pic, there is a .250" thick test piece on top of the 1-1/4" slab that I cut for the customer so that they could verify the geometry.
1.25-inch-steel.jpg
Cheers,

Matt
Custom LDR Motion Systems 5x10 table w/ rotary axis and scribe
Hypertherm Powermax85
Quincy 325 compressor
Ingersoll Rand D18IN refrigerated air dryer
Millermatic 251 MIG
Everlast PowerPro 256 TIG/stick/plasma w/ water cooler

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”