Dross problems

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Wadzii
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Dross problems

Post by Wadzii »

I've got my machine dialed in pretty good on 3/16 mild steel.

My problem has come up going to 1/4" steel.

Using a hypertherm 45 on a homemade machine. On long straight cuts I can pretty much get those dross free. Where there is any sort of detail I get a ton of dross and there is always a little nub holding the material from falling out of the hole. I didnt have these problems with 3/16.

This is the back side of one of the parts. I've gone from 65 to 90 ipm with no real change as well and up and down on the torch height with no real change. (faster than 85ipm and there are areas it doesnt cut through)

In this picture you can see the nub at the start point. It does this if I use an arc or perpendicular lead in. Overcut is set to 0.250" and lead out has no effect on the nub..

This is another pic of the nub at the start point

Any ideas?
sphurley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Dross problems

Post by sphurley »

Book on a 45 @1/4" is 60ipm? Why would you go faster and expect better results?
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
Wadzii
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Wadzii »

I tried 60 to as fast as it would cut. On 3/16 it looks the best at 95-100ipm
Wadzii
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Wadzii »

The dross comes off very easily so I assume that's low speed dross so I went faster. I'll try at 55 and see what happens
sphurley

Post by sphurley »

I remember seeing Jim Colt mention moving where you put your lead ins at. The torch starts then you make it do a 90deg turn and it has to slow down causing the mark you see. Do you use any rules as you cut? Such as rules for holes at 60%? Using rules I can get most of my small holes (1/4") to be almost drill quality for size and taper. Also watch out if you use "soft pierce" in Sheetcam. If you don't have RS485 control to lower the current, SheetCam will still lower the Z down speed on pierce, then it's back to normal speed once forward motion starts.
Steve
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
Wadzii
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Wadzii »

I initially had a rule to cut small holes at 60% but the dross on the bottom was terrible, on the 3/16 plate there wasnt much difference between slowing down to 60% or running at 90%. on the pictures I posted I used a perpendicular lead in starting at the middle of the hole. I have a rule to slow down at sharp corners, not sure if I need to play with that.

I'm about to run a piece at 55ipm and see what happens. anywhere between the recommended speeds 60-75 look all the same. I havent seen an option for soft pierce so I assume I'm not using that?
Wadzii
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Wadzii »

I didnt get any pics, but I went slower instead of faster, the holes came out much nicer but there is still a good amount of dross on the back of the lettered areas.
sphurley

Post by sphurley »

I would look at your letters (post the SVG or DXF here if you want) and see if you have a lot of small nodes instead of smooth flowing arcs.
Steve
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
Wadzii
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Wadzii »

I did have to smooth it all out when I first started with this part. The shop that was doing the laser cutting for me before originally drew the file and it had some odd things going on there.

I attached the file here.
Attachments
Back Plate 8-5-16.dxf
(68 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
sphurley

Post by sphurley »

Back Plate Update.dxf
(49.89 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
Your C's had some issues as did the bottom underline that was 4 separate vectors.
Not sure how much you think too much dross is. This was cut with a PM85's 45consumables (not the same as yours on a PM45)
I dropped it on the floor a couple of times and then knocked off the rest with a scrapper. An acid bath would have done everything in no time.
There is some taper in the corners of the letters as I would expect. You can play with the CV settings and get those even better at the sake of more dross.
IMG_20160807_1609064.jpg
IMG_20160807_1615064.jpg
IMG_20160807_1615444.jpg
IMG_20160807_1616329.jpg
Steve
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
Wadzii
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Wadzii »

the dross on the lettering was in huge globs. I just downloaded your modified file. I'll give that a shot and see what happens.

Let me know what you want for that plate. I can put it to use so it doesnt go in the scrap bin. Its the back plate for our cradle that mounts a ford differential into a honda s2000

http://centralncspeedshop.com/collectio ... kit-street
sphurley

Post by sphurley »

You can have it. I'll ship it out to you tomorrow.
Steve
Steve
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”