Erratic cut quality!

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
CCR Custom Metals
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Erratic cut quality!

Post by CCR Custom Metals »

Hello! I am new to this forum but I am coming here for some help....hopefully.

I have been posting these issues on another thread (Owners Community by PlasmaCam) without any luck of finding a solution. My company (although just a small Etsy shop) has been down for over a month now....so please help! :-/

Here is what I have:
  • ~ GoTorch Z-2 CNC
    ~ Hypertherm Powermax 30xp
    ~ DIY downdraft table
    ~ Harbor Freight air condenser
    ~ Craftsman 33 Gallon Air compressor (6.8S SCFM @ 40 psi & 5.1 SCFM @ 90 pi)
In the picture, you can see where the plasma starts to fail. I can hear it when it starts failing which is why I originally thought it was air quality...it was at this point where I decided to buy the Harbor Freight air condenser....didn't change a thing.

i have tried just about everything. have replaced all my hoses...thinking that maybe they were contaminated. I have added, removed, inspected filters constantly.

I keep changing out my consumables thinking that they are the problem, but honestly, I don't think that is the issue

I am sure that I am missing something, so feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance,
Chase
Attachments
20160527_225516.jpg
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Erratic cut quality!

Post by acourtjester »

Looking at your image since the problem is not at the start but in a area where it has been cutting without problems.
You may have a material quality problem. There have been posts here with talking about this.
Also are you using a THC you may have a warping issue, It would help if you give more info about you conditions.
Speed, thickness of metal, amps, plasma unit, and consumables.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
mdwalker
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by mdwalker »

I bet this is going to turn out to be a height problem assuming you have good consumables. Probably from not having properly functioning automatic height control, material warpage, or material buildup on bottom of nozzle/shield.
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
Nacs Fab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Nacs Fab »

What Torch Height Control do you use, if any? Also, you could just re-cut the outside of the part and have satisfactory results, to save the part. I do it occasionally when I have steel warpage in the middle of my sheet.
Shop Droids Plasmabot 3.0 DIY 4x8 with water table
G540 with LCTHC by candcnc
Hypertherm 1250 with Duramax Torch Upgrade
all built... by me...
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Almost guaranteed it is height related. Air quality will not do this.....if it did it would show as failed consumables. I would dare say the height is varying by + or - perhaps .015" to .020".....this is why we have height controls.

While the Powermax30XP was not specifically designed to run on a cnc machine (we do not make a machine torch, only a hand torch) I did personally test it on my Plasmacam 4 x 4 machine (with advanced height control). I found that the torch needs to run at about .020" off the material during steady state cutting, and should pierce only thinner than 1/4" with a pierce height of about .12". I got excellent cut quality using the height control and these specs.
Jim Colt Hypertherm
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kkroger »

I don't believe the little Go Torch has a THC even offered... it is a plasmacam tool so maybe, but it is a small machine last I knew.
But it does look like when the torch "Goes High" lots of splash back and not much cutting, What is the material you are cuttin (Steel) ? How Thick?
What current are you cutting at? 30 Amps? Cut Speed? Cut Height? I ran a PM30 for a year before I could reach my PM65 cost...
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Yes...you can buy the GoTorch with any of the Plasmacam upgrades. Mine had Advanced Design Edge and Advanced Height Control......nice machine.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

I'm surprised no one has asked what the air pressure is at the back of the plasma cutter while it is cutting?
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
CCR Custom Metals
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

acourtjester wrote:Looking at your image since the problem is not at the start but in a area where it has been cutting without problems.
You may have a material quality problem. There have been posts here with talking about this.
Also are you using a THC you may have a warping issue, It would help if you give more info about you conditions.
Speed, thickness of metal, amps, plasma unit, and consumables.
I don't think it's a material problem. With that said, I do believe that height may be an issue since I don't have height control...but I just purchased Advanced height control from PlasmaCam! Waiting to try and use it tomorrow!

Hypertherm Powermax 30xp
Speed: 155
Metal: 14 GA
30 Amps...can't really go any lower than 30.
fine cut consumables
CCR Custom Metals
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

WyoGreen wrote:I'm surprised no one has asked what the air pressure is at the back of the plasma cutter while it is cutting?
Air pressure at the gauge that I installed at the back of the plasma stays between 95-100psi.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”