PowerMax45 vs 1/2" Steel. Pics

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

PowerMax45 vs 1/2" Steel. Pics

Post by gamble »

Well almost half inch. My super accurate $9.99 tool says .46 thick but that's pretty close

I was playing with some settings, these are my first 2 attempts at cutting 1/2" and I'm pretty happy with how they came out. The dross was removed with a pony clamp and dropping it on the floor a few times. It was so hot I didn't want to touch it and the pony clamps were right there. It came off super easy. That was the only clean up I did. I'm sure they will look great once they are all cleaned up with a flap wheel
The only difference between the 2 are 3inches per minute and one has .3 overburn. Still need to figure out if I can make the lead in curve in to reduce the little notch where the arc goes in then up. Not too sure I'd chance it and cut anything thicker but I'm pretty happy with these results.

Still debating on a Pm65....IF I can do small cuts like this at 55-65amps without blowing my small 30amp breaker :?

Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: PowerMax45 vs 1/2" Steel. Pics

Post by Capstone »

The cutouts are good, but what's impressive to me are the holes. How on earth did you set those up? With pre-drilled edge-start holes first?
Did they come out the right size?
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

The holes have some slight taper but not at all that bad. Nothing was pre drilled. I threw on the material modified the book spec settings and hit cut. Got any pics of the 3/4" you did? I would be curious to see that. I think the holes could of come out better but it seems as if the torch starts to dive at the end of the holes. Wonder if I can turn that off somehow
I just need to clean it all up. I am not sure if my little 1/2 hp drill can handle it though.
I just wanted to see if I can do this. I can't be price competitive on them though. Someone else can cut them cleaner, holes drilled and tapped for $14/each
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
see&see
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by see&see »

Nice cuts, the quality is a little better for me with the 45 amp process as well on 1/2" MS vs the 65 amp process. Speed is a bit slower of course with 45 amp. The only downside I noticed is the 45 amp tips won't last as long piercing as the 65 amp tips on 1/2" but I prefer the 45 amp process even if I use more tips. Depends on the application but you can have near laser quality at 45 amp on 1/2" if you set up correctly.

I usually mark a point and drill if I'm going to tap threads to save cooking the drill bit..
You marry into the PlasmaCam family and must accept the fact your software and hardware are proprietary. It's a for better or for worse engagement with overwhelming security. PlasmaCam controls the computer, table, hardware to their advantage IMO. :x
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Looks like quite a bit of inside bevel to me.. I would not be happy with that quality.. I have seen awesome cuts on .500 MS with 65 amp consumables.(Hyper 85) Totally book parameters. My friend cut tons of that stuff, and it comes out sweet.. I have not quite been able to get to his level yet, with my Powermax 65.. I can with my other machine,machines.. I kind of think steel chemistry plays a big roll in cut quality..
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

You also have more power to play with
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

It is tricky getting the lead in out combination just right, I quite often have to use a ruleset that adds a little feedrate slowdown near the end just to catch that tab where it crosses over the leadin.
You seem very slow on your feedrate at 3''/min? I would be just under 20''/min on that thickness with the 45.
To stop diving you need a rule to turn off thc somehow, or at least just turn off thc manually on holes.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

50-55 amps will be similar to yours with my Victor.. I get great cuts with that setup.. Know how to use that machine though..(had them forever)
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

If I want best cut quality....and virtually no taper on 1/2" (with my Powermax85) I use the 45 amp shielded consumables. The Powermax85, 65, 105 and 45 will all cut 1/2" steel at the same specs. The taper I see in the pics is likely a nozzle orifice nick that occurred from piercing too close. 1/2" is tough to pierce at 45 amps.....you need about a .2 to .25 pierce height and about a 1.2 second pierce delay.....then you will not damage the orifice on the first pierce.

If I had 100 parts nested on 1/2" and I did not want to babysit the machine...I would use the 65 amp shielded process....then go mow the lawn while all parts were being cut. Jim Colt Hypertherm

This is 1/2" steel with any of the 45 amp shielded processes from Hypertherm Powermax systems.
IMG_2948.jpg
IMG_2948.jpg (51.09 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

SeanP wrote:It is tricky getting the lead in out combination just right, I quite often have to use a ruleset that adds a little feedrate slowdown near the end just to catch that tab where it crosses over the leadin.
You seem very slow on your feedrate at 3''/min? I would be just under 20''/min on that thickness with the 45.
To stop diving you need a rule to turn off thc somehow, or at least just turn off thc manually on holes.
First one was 20 then I slowed it down 3 to 17ipm
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

gamble wrote:
SeanP wrote:It is tricky getting the lead in out combination just right, I quite often have to use a ruleset that adds a little feedrate slowdown near the end just to catch that tab where it crosses over the leadin.
First one was 20 then I slowed it down 3 to 17ipm
Ah right sorry I missed that :oops:
Those holes are good Gamble :!:
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
nalin400m
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by nalin400m »

First time every cutting 1/2". This is exact book settings for 65A consumables on mild steel. Very pleased with the Hypertherm 85 and Bulltear table.
Nalin Manufacturing, LLC
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Bulltear Starlab 4'x8'

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”