Do I need a Compressed Air dryer ?

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
msc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Do I need a Compressed Air dryer ?

Post by msc »

I returned my 2nd HF compressed air dryer after it had an internal leak as soon as I installed it. I have been cutting without it, draining the compressor tank and drain valves I have in my system often. I have several loops and drains in the system as well as a Motorguard filter just before my cutter and I don't get any visible moisture in the valves closest to my PM 45. I get a lot of moisture from the valves closer to the compressor. My consumables seem to last a good amount of time.

My question is, do I really need a dryer? I do live in south Florida so humidity is very high to say the least. I don't mind buying another dryer if it will make a difference but hate to spend the money if it won't.

How do I know I really need one?

Thanks, Mark
Mark
Hypertherm PM 45
Delusional Designs 4x4 CNC
Millermatic 211 welder
sphurley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Do I need a Compressed Air dryer ?

Post by sphurley »

I live in Southern California, dry 99% of the time. I took the hose off my plasma, put a high volume air nozzle on it and blew air on a steel plate for 5 minutes. After seeing the water droplets form on the plate I bought a dryer. ( I have an intercooler on the compressor already)
Just my 2 cents.
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

I returned my 2nd HF compressed air dryer after it had an internal leak as soon as I installed it
It can't hurt anything! Buy the one sold on this site Made in America. I've been running mine steady for two years without an issue.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
PlasmaSpider Store
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaSpider Store »

tnbndr wrote:
I returned my 2nd HF compressed air dryer after it had an internal leak as soon as I installed it
It can't hurt anything! Buy the one sold on this site Made in America. I've been running mine steady for two years without an issue.
Thanks for the recommendation tnbndr!

If your looking for a link the dryer tnbndr is suggesting this is it http://plasmaspider.com/shop/dryers.html and keep in mind you still need to filter the air before it gets to this unit.

Another more cost effective alternative in terms of initial cost is a desiccant dryer/filter combination like this one http://plasmaspider.com/shop/dryer_sharpe6760.html

Both units will do a great job, the desiccant dryer actually has a lower dewpoint and will eliminate more humidity that the refrigerated dryer but requires the desiccant to be dried or replaced periodically.

If you live in Florida I can guarantee you will notice immediate positive results after the installation of a quality filter/dryer.
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

This company makes some of the best ones.. No drying of the media. Just get consumed... Bag of pellets has lasted me about 20 years..Still have half of them.. I use a local brand of pellets,came from a wood mill out of Portland (Camas) So options there too..

http://vanairsystems.com/component/allv ... ryers.html

http://vanairsystems.com/products_desic ... -lite.html
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

To answer this question..... Do I need a Compressed Air dryer ? I would first ask where do you live..... You stated: "I do live in south Florida so humidity is very high to say the least."

So.....My answer is yes, an air dryer is advisable.....so is an auto drain on your compressor tank. In high humidity I always recommend a refrigerated dryer as they require less maintenance (no dessicant).

Too bad you had issues with the Harbor Freight unit....I have heard good things about them. Personally I use a Dayton (from Graingers) refrigerated dryer that I bough on Craigslist for $75. Here in NH I run it only during humid summer months (June, July, August....part of September) with good results. Jim Colt Hypertherm
msc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by msc »

Thanks Jim. I do have a replacement coming from Harbor Freight. Hopefully the 3rd one will work as intended. I now drain my tank and system valves every few cuts to keep the air dry.

Other than increased consumable life, what other benefits should I see with dryer air?
Mark
Hypertherm PM 45
Millermatic 211 welder
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Because of the longer consumable life you will get more consistent cut quality and lower operating cost (buy less consumables). Jim
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

I have the hypertherm air dryer. Or one that looks identical to it by RTI. Was about $120 on ebay and it works great!
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
msc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by msc »

So this week my 3rd Harbor Freight compressed air dryer arrived. I installed it and sure enough, another internal air leak. I thought I would just repair it but it is leaking from a cluster of tubes coming together and I can't see the leak. I know it is HF and all but one would think at least one of the 3 units would be ok. Oh well, back to the start :(
Mark
Hypertherm PM 45
Millermatic 211 welder
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

Damn msc, you have some kind of luck. I have been running my HF air dryer for about 15 months with no problems. When I went to Arclight back in Feb. of 2015 that is what they were running and recommended them highly. I do remember reading the Max inlet air pressure should not exceed 125PSI, so I regulate my down to 120 before interring the dryer. What inlet pressure are you running? Just a though.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
msc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by msc »

Hey Rick. My compressor puts out around 150 psi and I didn't regulate it down. I just checked the manual and it states max operating pressure is 140 psi. But the air started streaming out the moment I hooked up the air supply. I can't imagine that 10 psi over the operating pressure would cause it to leak that bad that quick. In any event, I read your post, ran out to the shop with anticipation, unpacked the dryer which is being picked up on Tuesday, hooked it back up using a pressure regulator at 120 psi and guess what? It still leaked :(

Mark
Mark
Hypertherm PM 45
Millermatic 211 welder
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

msc wrote:Hey Rick. My compressor puts out around 150 psi and I didn't regulate it down. I just checked the manual and it states max operating pressure is 140 psi. But the air started streaming out the moment I hooked up the air supply. I can't imagine that 10 psi over the operating pressure would cause it to leak that bad that quick. In any event, I read your post, ran out to the shop with anticipation, unpacked the dryer which is being picked up on Tuesday, hooked it back up using a pressure regulator at 120 psi and guess what? It still leaked :(

Mark
Although, whatever blew out at 140+ PSI isn't likely to have healed/re-seated itself, in order to seal at 120. I would have been surprised if it had sealed after being blown. If that was the cause, of course.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

It sounds like you likely over pressured all 3 of them. Be careful.....your Powermax45 has a maximum pressure of 120 psi. Too high and the plastic filter bowl in the regulator / water separator will crack and leak.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

You must have a newer model or a newer Manuel. LOL My says 120psi Who can tell with all this Chinese stuff on the market today. I wish you luck with what ever you decide to do.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
msc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by msc »

I have a pressure gauge at the inlet to my PM45 and I am careful to keep the pressure below 120. Do you really think 10 psi could blow out a line. I suspected poorly soldered connections.

I was hoping that maybe there was a relief valve to prevent over pressurization that was activated and reset.
Mark
Hypertherm PM 45
Millermatic 211 welder
see&see
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by see&see »

Another way to go is replace the air dryer with an after-cooler on the hot line out of the compressor head like they do on the industrial systems. I have the one pictured below and it traps about 95% of the water before it reaches the compressor tank. That and a desiccant filter followed by a Motor Guard carbon filter just ahead of the Hypertherm cutter eliminated 100% of the water traces in the Hypertherm bowl. Just be sure and monitor air pressure just before the cutter in case the motor guard gets full of desiccant dust. My motor guard element has lasted a year with zero pressure drop to the cutter so far..
Attachments
Zoro for best price on these..
Zoro for best price on these..
Compressor Aftercooler.jpg (112.24 KiB) Viewed 2825 times
You marry into the PlasmaCam family and must accept the fact your software and hardware are proprietary. It's a for better or for worse engagement with overwhelming security. PlasmaCam controls the computer, table, hardware to their advantage IMO. :x
msc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by msc »

Ok, so I got another HF compressed air dryer and hooked it up and this time I used a pressure regular and keeping it at around 115. So far so good.

Do you keep it on all the time or just when using air? Also, should it be cycling. Ran it for a few hours , idling, and it never cycled off?

Thanks, Mark
Mark
Hypertherm PM 45
Millermatic 211 welder
tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

Do you keep it on all the time or just when using air? Also, should it be cycling. Ran it for a few hours , idling, and it never cycled off?
I keep mine running all the time but I live in Wisconsin, not always humid. I have the one sold from here and it cycle on and off all the time and has a gauge on the front telling me when it is in the right zone for dry air.
Being you are in Florida it may take a while to reach its peak or if it is that humid it may run constantly to keep up.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
Stout

Post by Stout »

Hypertherm support said "A regulated 85 psi air supply is required.". I have mine set to 100 psi after the first water separator right at the compressor. Then through the air dryer. There is a paper filter at the power supply, about 50 feet away, that I check about every year. No moisture ever.
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
Sector Technologies Photon 5x10 water table machine with Hypertherm Micro Edge Controller, Powermax 105

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”