Tips or tricks to using Finecut consumables?

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Tips or tricks to using Finecut consumables?

Post by motoguy »

I'm getting ready to play with some Finecuts on my system, with 10, 14, 16 gauge (and thinner, down to 21ga, but the thinner stuff is just to see what it does...)

I've read numerous places that the Finecuts are "much more finicky" than the regular 45A shielded machine nozzle I'm using for thin stuff (only cut up to 10ga so far). Jim Colt recommends running the Finecuts at .07-.075 cut height, as opposed to the .06 in the chart. I've read some comments that running 3-4v higher than book, at 80-90% book speed yields best cuts. Some people say you have to "break them in" before they start cutting good (no idea what that means...pierces? Cut inches?). Seems like they're kind of a black art.

Just looking for the various tips or tricks you guys use, to get the best cut out of the Finecut parts.

Thanks!
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Tips or tricks to using Finecut consumables?

Post by acourtjester »

Don't forget the jumper switch on the ARC OK signal there are a few posts about that before this one.
http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.p ... ch#p106999
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Pat4rd
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Pat4rd »

Motoguy Ive got fine cut cons. Coming in tomorrow.. I know this is an old post but I'm in the same boat as you was. Any suggestions? Or is it best to learn as you go
Millermatic 252
Hypertherm 45xp machine torch
Eagle 4x4
Mach3, sheetcam, adobe il, inkscape
Proma 150 floating head, Quincy 5hp 60gal, 3 stage dryer.
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

I've found that running the finecuts at 10% below book speed (with accordingly adjusted voltages), at .06 cut height (16ga and thinner) or .075 cut height (thicker than 16ga, up to 10ga) gives great results. I set pierce height at .001" higher than cut height up through 14ga. Thicker than 14ga, I go by book pierce settings (.15"). On the thinner stuff 16ga or thinner, you can set pierce delay to 0 and it will be fine.

I mostly cut 14ga. Book specs are 220ipm at 82v. I run 200ipm at 88v. You WILL need to run the line test on your machine, at the correct cut height and cut speed, to find the voltage you will need for your setup.

I use finecuts for 95%+ of my cutting.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
Pat4rd
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Pat4rd »

Thank you for the great response motoguy! I'm going to start cutting tonight and go by what you recommended.
Millermatic 252
Hypertherm 45xp machine torch
Eagle 4x4
Mach3, sheetcam, adobe il, inkscape
Proma 150 floating head, Quincy 5hp 60gal, 3 stage dryer.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

I only recommend Finecuts at a higher cut height (and higher voltage to maintain that cut height) when cutting 14, 12 and 10 gauge. On thinner materials you should stick with the book height of .06" for best results.

When the height is correct...the book speeds will provide best cut quality, slowing....even 10% will make more dross on most steel. I run Finecuts at book everything except for height on 14 ga and thicker. The set I am using now has over 3000 starts on it...nozzle looks new.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”