Hypertherm Air Adjustment

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
GuyMussori
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Hypertherm Air Adjustment

Post by GuyMussori »

I have a Hypertherm Power Max 45 on my table that seems to go through a LOT of air. My 60 gallon compressor is ALWAYS running while I'm cutting and USUALLY towards the end of the project the torch stops firing but the machine keeps going. I can't rewind and restart so I can't finish.Last night that's what happened and I think my compressor was running when the fire stopped. I don't know if I ran low on pressure or if I have another problem. Is there a way to cut down on how much air goes through the torch?
I have a CHEEPY Northern Tool Plasma cutter ( Hand torch ) that uses WAY LESS air while cutting.
I don't know if this is my problem, this CNC stuff seems like there is WAY TOO MUCH STUFF that has to be right on or the machine STOPS.
Out of FRUSTRATION I let this machine sit for a year and last night I decided to give it another try and it looks like I just left off where I was a year ago.
Anyway if there is an adjustment on my Hypertherm please let me know.
Thanks
Guy
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Hypertherm Air Adjustment

Post by WyoGreen »

Hi Guy,
Just a couple of thoughts. First, put an air gauge right at the back of the HT 45 using a "T". That way you can tell if the pressure is dropping below the HT specs. Second, if your compressor is running all the time, you may be getting water thru your system. You may need to look into cooling the air and filtering out the water. How many CFM's is your compressor rated to put out?

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

Hi GuyMussori

The only air adjustment I know about on the PM45 is the regulator at the back of the case that adjust the airflow.
Set the amp control knob fully anti clockwise and the air flows through the torch,
Now using the regulator at the back of the case adjust the airflow until the lower "Green LED illuminates next to the pointer midway on the scale.

Bingo air pressure set , I believe that is the only adjustment you have to make ;)
Best Regards to all
Exapprentice :D
(Pete)
10'x5' DIY table / PM 45XP + M/C Torch - Trying to add 4 axis Tube cutting :(
Linux/CommandCandCNC MP3600 / PN200 / DCP-01 / PWM
Solid Edge, Inkscape, SheetCam, Scananything & Andonstar USB Microscope
GuyMussori
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by GuyMussori »

Thanks guys. I have a Harbor Freight Refridgorated air dryer in line and my green light was in the middle. I'm not sure that is the problem. I just remember the compressor running just before to torch quit firing. This cnc stuff in NEW to me and it seems everything that can go wrong will and I don;t have a clue what the problem is. Not knowing computers or all these programs is frustrating.
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

See if the 30 amp nozzles will put you in the ball park on flow.. They will flow less air.. Just a test to see if you need to upgrade your cfm

I can't rewind and restart so I can't finish

You can't or don't know how too?.. You need to post way more info, like table software , compressor CFM/setup to expect any real help. We can guess all over the place, but with limited info, it's all just a guess.. Not real good at getting things on the right track that way..
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

Out of FRUSTRATION I let this machine sit for a year and last night I decided to give it another try and it looks like I just left off where I was a year ago.
Things don't fix themselves!!! Should have spent that year getting familiar with your machine and software, wouldn't have taken anywhere near that long. Sounds like your compressor is not big enough to supply the HP45, mine will kick in while I am cutting but will catch up and kick out also. Yours may never be catching up. Perhaps you need to cut in phases, start cutting and when the compressor kicks in pause the cutting until the compressor kicks out, start cutting, repeat until complete.
You say you cannot finish the cut but you can if you do some research and learn how. Search these forums it's all there.And a BrandX states, you need to post way more info if you want specific help.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

Hi GuyMussori

The PM 45 requires a basic 6 cfm @90 psi, is your "60 gallon compressor" capable of generating that minimum requirement :?:
Size of tank wont make up for the compressor not generating 6 cfm @ 90 psi, which could be a problem.

What spec is your compressor, let us know and we can work from there ;)
Best Regards to all
Exapprentice :D
(Pete)
10'x5' DIY table / PM 45XP + M/C Torch - Trying to add 4 axis Tube cutting :(
Linux/CommandCandCNC MP3600 / PN200 / DCP-01 / PWM
Solid Edge, Inkscape, SheetCam, Scananything & Andonstar USB Microscope
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

you can also program a pause in the g-code to allow the compressor to catch up
hit resume to start cutting again
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
Carld
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Carld »

_Ogre , how you add this pause ?
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

Carld wrote:_Ogre , how you add this pause ?
Insert an M00 command at the point in the program where you want it to pause until you press the run button again.

You could also do a dwell for a certain number of seconds and then have it start again on its own.

G04 P10 for a 10 second pause.

Make sure Mach time interval is set to seconds.
Steve

Homebrewed plasma table in the works, NSK linear rails, 3.2:1 belt reduction, CandCNC Plazpak 1A with DTHCIV Ethercut, Hypertherm 85, CommandCNC and SheetCAM
Click here for build post

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”