Cutting 1" with 60 amps

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
79Bronco
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Cutting 1" with 60 amps

Post by 79Bronco »

I need to make a few cuts on some 1" plate. I have a powermax 1000 on my table.

Anybody try it? Any idea on what speed to run? powermax 1650 chart shows 80a 10IPM no chart for 60a.

I can edge start if I have to, its 4 starts and about 100" of cuts. Not worried if I trash a set of consumables on these cuts, I just don't want to waste the steel.
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Cutting 1" with 60 amps

Post by BTA Plasma »

3-6 ipm depending on your air quality.
79Bronco
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by 79Bronco »

BTA Plasma wrote:3-6 ipm depending on your air quality.
Awesome! Thanks! Have you tried this? Any idea on piercing? I have some scrap I'll try out before, I'll try a wiggle pierce.
BTA Plasma

Post by BTA Plasma »

Edge start...a pierce will last around 4 seconds and you will need to wiggle pierce and start high like .28. Yes have done it and piercing is a good way to really wear a nozzle fast.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Here is the 60 amp shielded cut chart, which goes to 3/4" (factory rating for mechanized cutting). I have cut up to 1-1/4" with the Powermax1000 with an edge start with good success.

I recommend edge start (center nozzle orifice on the edge) with the torch at cut height .060" (1/16"), set about a 1 second pierce delay, and set cut speed at 6 to 8 inches per minute. The cut edge will be nice and square, there will be substantial dross....but it will knock off easily. Don't attempt to pierce! Don't cut more than about 50 inches continuously.....you will likely exceed the duty cycle rating if you do. Jim Colt Hypertherm
60amp cut chartsteel.jpg
Last edited by jimcolt on Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The Powermax1000 will pierce 5/8" all day....don't attempt 1"......you will ruin a shield and a nozzle....and possibly the retaining cap. A wiggle start will not save it! Jim Colt Hypertherm

79Bronco wrote:
BTA Plasma wrote:3-6 ipm depending on your air quality.
Awesome! Thanks! Have you tried this? Any idea on piercing? I have some scrap I'll try out before, I'll try a wiggle pierce.
79Bronco
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by 79Bronco »

Thanks Jim! I was hoping you would see this!

I do have the duramax torch not the T60, Not sure if that changes your recommendations at all?
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The same specs will work for the Duramax at 60 amps on 1". Jim Colt
79Bronco
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by 79Bronco »

jimcolt wrote:The same specs will work for the Duramax at 60 amps on 1". Jim Colt
Thanks!
Gustav129
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Gustav129 »

If you need to do pierces on your pieces, I have a method that worked for me on 2 1/2" MS. I needed to cut 1" holes for bridge base plates. The pierce was most of the hole alone, then consumables wore out really fast and lots of crashes.

-First you cut the piece (outline and pierces only) out on 3/16" for a template.
-Next you could cut the outline for individual pieces with one CAM file.
-Set up a jig to hold individual pieces.
-Center punch pierce holes from template, and pre drill holes.
-Use second CAM file to cut internal holes, using pre drilled holes for "edge start".

No Top Spatter, no Wiggle Start, no crashes.
79Bronco
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by 79Bronco »

Gustav129 wrote:If you need to do pierces on your pieces, I have a method that worked for me on 2 1/2" MS. I needed to cut 1" holes for bridge base plates. The pierce was most of the hole alone, then consumables wore out really fast and lots of crashes.

-First you cut the piece (outline and pierces only) out on 3/16" for a template.
-Next you could cut the outline for individual pieces with one CAM file.
-Set up a jig to hold individual pieces.
-Center punch pierce holes from template, and pre drill holes.
-Use second CAM file to cut internal holes, using pre drilled holes for "edge start".

No Top Spatter, no Wiggle Start, no crashes.
I will try that if I ever need to pierce. That does sound like a solid plan, I was wondering how people were setting up drill spots for edge starting in the middle of parts.

Thanks for all the advice in this thread. I cut it today went great.
60amp - 6ipm - 0.06 cut height THC off for this but was reading 166v most of the time.

Cut very clean a lot cleaner and a lot less taper than I thought there was going to be. My cuts were actually had less taper than the ones that were on the drop I bought from my steel supplier who has high def but they may have cut it with oxy I'm not sure. Dross was crazy but it flaked right off. Also a very good way to destroy a slat when it runs right on top of it for few inches.

Efficient use of a drop :lol:
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Awesome.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
79Bronco
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by 79Bronco »

I figured I'd bump this thread again...

Any chance of being able to do 1.5" ? I have a customer asking for it. If I can't do it I have someone else who can.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”