Hypertherm 45 cutting 11 gauge with 30 amp tip

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Waylon80
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Hypertherm 45 cutting 11 gauge with 30 amp tip

Post by Waylon80 »

I've got a hypertherm powermax 45 and I've been cutting 14 gauge with a 30 amp tip for finer cuts but we've recently bumped up to 11 gauge and I was wondering if there was anyone who's had success cutting 11 gauge with a 30 amp tip? Thanks
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Hypertherm 45 cutting 11 gauge with 30 amp tip

Post by Brand X »

I don't have a Hypertherm right now, but With Esab, and Thermal Dynamics. (Latest models) 30 amps was freaking awesome.. Maybe you might get more dross, but edge quality will be hard to beat.. (IMO) It would be the direction I would go, but really don't know enough about the 45 to give you any settings at all.. I am glad you posted this question,because I sure would like to see some examples of 30 amp cutting on that thickness. Standard powermax 30 cut sweet by hand in that range, so I can't see why a machine cut would not work great?
Waylon80
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Waylon80 »

Brand X wrote:I don't have a Hypertherm right now, but With Esab, and Thermal Dynamics. (Latest models) 30 amps was freaking awesome.. Maybe you might get more dross, but edge quality will be hard to beat.. (IMO) It would be the direction I would go, but really don't know enough about the 45 to give you any settings at all.. I am glad you posted this question,because I sure would like to see some examples of 30 amp cutting on that thickness. Standard powermax 30 cut sweet by hand in that range, so I can't see why a machine cut would not work great?

Thanks for your reply. Well if no one else chimes in who has done it I might just go ahead and through a piece of scrap on the table and see what we get. Only kicker is it'll have to be next week before I can because our computer practically blew up lol so waiting on the new. Meanwhile I was just curious about the whole thing and what settings someone who's doing it is running it at.
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

I haven't used the 30a tips for very long but so far what I have seen is there is a lot more dross, couldn't find a speed to dial it out at all, that was on 1.5mm stainless and 2mm steel.
I have used them on 3mm steel, it did give a good square sharp cut but again lots of dross.
If it's not to intricate and you not to worried about slowing things down I would stick with the 45a tips, the actual cut is a little smoother as well I feel.

Sorry the pic is only the back side, it's the only one I took of 3mm.

Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Are you using factory 30 amp nozzles? only ask because I know you like aftermarket 45 amp ones. Like I said before, I really don't have clue about the Powermax 45.. just interested in low amp nozzles in general.. Jim had said there is some news coming on that front soon..
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Here is the cut chart from the Powermax45 operators manual for the T30 consumables (30 amp, non shielded). Notice the cut height.....to get square, dross free cuts you need to run very close to the material. These consumables were designed to drag cut with a hand torch on the original Powermax30, that is why the cut spec is so close. Set the cut speed between the 10 gauge and 12 gauge settings at .02" cut height and you will get dross free cuts.
Jim Colt Hypertherm
30ampcut chart.png
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Yes I'm using genuine 30a consumables, all new as well, just did some more this morning with a new electrode & nozzle, same there.
I'm very careful to get the .5mm cut height just right.
3mm steel cutting at 1750mm/min
2mm steel 2800mm/min
Maybe I should try again a little faster it looks like slow speed dross? quite hard to shift.
Thanks for the advice.
Powermax XP45
Table build gallery
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The cut chart specs are right on the edge of low speed dross. If you know your height is maintaining properly....then increasing the speed (try 10 ipm per trial) is the next step to eliminating dross.

There are a lot of different steel chemistry's.....higher silicone, carbon and manganese levels often affect the best dross free speed range.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Waylon80
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Waylon80 »

jimcolt wrote:Here is the cut chart from the Powermax45 operators manual for the T30 consumables (30 amp, non shielded). Notice the cut height.....to get square, dross free cuts you need to run very close to the material. These consumables were designed to drag cut with a hand torch on the original Powermax30, that is why the cut spec is so close. Set the cut speed between the 10 gauge and 12 gauge settings at .02" cut height and you will get dross free cuts.
Jim Colt Hypertherm
30ampcut chart.png
Thanks Jim I'll give that a try next week when I get the computer in and see how it turns out. I've had no problems cutting with the 45 amp on my bigger signs but here lately we got some jobs in for doing car tags with plenty of fine detail in the center design so I was curious about the 30 amp consumable for 11 gauge. But thanks I'll give it a shot
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Did you try the 30a parts on 11g? just wondering how you found them.

I had another go yesterday on some lettering on that thickness, tried slower, faster, water lower, just couldn't get rid of that dross :o
IMG_6753.JPG
Waylon80 wrote:
jimcolt wrote:Here is the cut chart from the Powermax45 operators manual for the T30 consumables (30 amp, non shielded). Notice the cut height.....to get square, dross free cuts you need to run very close to the material. These consumables were designed to drag cut with a hand torch on the original Powermax30, that is why the cut spec is so close. Set the cut speed between the 10 gauge and 12 gauge settings at .02" cut height and you will get dross free cuts.
Jim Colt Hypertherm
IMG_6753.JPG
Thanks Jim I'll give that a try next week when I get the computer in and see how it turns out. I've had no problems cutting with the 45 amp on my bigger signs but here lately we got some jobs in for doing car tags with plenty of fine detail in the center design so I was curious about the 30 amp consumable for 11 gauge. But thanks I'll give it a shot
Powermax XP45
Table build gallery
Waylon80
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Waylon80 »

SeanP wrote:Did you try the 30a parts on 11g? just wondering how you found them.

I had another go yesterday on some lettering on that thickness, tried slower, faster, water lower, just couldn't get rid of that dross :o
IMG_6753.JPG
Waylon80 wrote:
Jim Colt Hypertherm
30ampcut chart.png
Yeah I tried it out and I loved it. I had alittle dross but nothing near like that. All I had to do was take a flat head screwdriver or scrapper and lightly knock it off. Majority of it i could knock off with my fingers lol. What specs are you cutting it at?

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”