Hand held torch or machine torch? Samson/ Plasma cam

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
adventureleven
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Hand held torch or machine torch? Samson/ Plasma cam

Post by adventureleven »

There are a lot of you guys out there running these cnc tables with Hypertherm plasma machines.

does a true machine torch work on a Samson/ plasma cam set-up? Draw backs?? Advantages?? I really just want the best set-up. My plasma machine is a Hypertherm 1650 and it is dedicated to my Samson 510 cnc table.
danp
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Hand held torch or machine torch? Samson/ Plasma cam

Post by danp »

We purchased a samson table about eight months ago. I would recommend a machine torch setup. Plasma cam sells the adaptor. We started with a hand torch because plasma cam recommends it. The torch set up lets the sparks burn into the handle of the torch. It took about six months to ruin a $600 torch. We do cut for about six hours a day. The machine torch works a lot better and changing the consumables is alot easier.

dan
BrianMick
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BrianMick »

I agree with Dan, the only drawback I see with the machine torch is you may loose some of the cutting area(about an inch) on the home side of the table. The only other thing you can do is fashion some sort of a shield to protect the hand torch from the heavy spatter off of thicker material..... I have allready talked to a plasmacam engineer about both of these problems, they have no fix yet................ good luck
Brian
adventureleven
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by adventureleven »

Thanks guys. I hate to loose a precious inch! but it seems to make more sense. i can just move the plate in that inch i suppose.
Joey
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joey »

I have a pcam and I made a holder for the machine torch on my 1250. Definitely worth the time. It is easier to keep the torch square to the material and when changing tips. All I have to do is raise the torch and change the tip. Plus, I have a three hose oxy/acet machine torch that I just drop in when cutting thicker material. I did nothing but fight with the hand torch holder so it got changed pretty quick. I don't think I could put up with the hand torch on my machine. Just my two cents.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Here's my machine torch mount for my PlasmaCam DHC2....I fabbed a magnetic breakaway that protects the torch and machine in the event of a collision with a tipped up part. I feel comfortable walking away from the machine while it is cutting with this setup as the motion stops when the magnetic mount breaks away.

Hypertherm has just announced the release of 2 new systems....the Powermax65 and Powermax85, ultimately will replace the Powermax1000 and 1250. They have avaialble a new "short" machine torch that is priced lower, and will work well on these machines with the machine torch mount. Here is a link to the product annoncement which has pictures of the torches.
https://www.hypertherm.com/happening/HO_9328_SHOW2.pdf
PlasmaCambuild 017.jpg
PlasmaCambuild 017.jpg (40.66 KiB) Viewed 3213 times
PlasmaCambuild 016.jpg
PlasmaCambuild 016.jpg (60.08 KiB) Viewed 3213 times
geo4932
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by geo4932 »

You don't actually lose the 1" or so. You make it up on the other end of the table. To use the whole sheet you will have to move the material out from the stops.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”