12-16 gauge help!!!!

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
slong4280
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

12-16 gauge help!!!!

Post by slong4280 »

I have a burn table 4x4 with hypertherm 65 I was using a fine tip but with thc off almost had to take nerve pills lol. for my thc to work I was told that I could not use a fine tip but I could use a 45 tip so what settings do you pros use . what is plunge rate thanks for the help
whiskeymike
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: 12-16 gauge help!!!!

Post by whiskeymike »

I use the settings straight out of the hypertherm manual. Just look at 45 amp consumable chart and insert the settings. Once you have those in, make a test cut and then change speed by 10% up or down until its exactly the way you want them.

It doesn't make much sense that thc donesn't work with finecut consumables. Sure they didn't say you had to change to an oohmic retaining cap?
slong4280
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by slong4280 »

they said the fine cut tip screws with there thc use a 45 tip my table max spped is 250 but the book says for 16 ga a much higer speed an pluge rate do you no what that is do I change that or leave it alone. iam real new at this but the user manual not very good for rookies thoughts
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

The plunge rate is the speed at which the torch lowers from pierce height to cut height. Yes you can adjust that setting.
I believe the higher the number the faster the speed but you have to be careful, too fast and you can get over ride and it will crash into the metal.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

To help you understand a few things the purpose for the THC is to maintain the distance of the tip from the metal when cutting only. The values in the book are for cutting speed, voltage, and proper cutting heights for the metal thickness for a good cut. The THC is set for a voltage of the arc that has been shown to maintain that distance nothing more. Slower speeds will produce more dross and may effect the voltage slightly. Selecting a fine tip and using the correct speed and voltage for the metal thickness will give you a good cut and the speed effects the dross amount. I use a fine tip on a 65 with DTHC-IV and ohmic sensor around 200 ipm on 16 gauge and am happy with the cuttings and I'm sure many others here are using fine tips with THC too.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

The BT THC will not work in the lower voltage range that is required for using Fine Cut . By "messing" with it they mean: " its not designed to go that low in Preset Volts" Since other things effect voltage, like feedrate, then the voltages will vary from the chart if its a lower feedrate than called for. That does help with toolpath tracking because lower feedrates require less acceleration.

The BT mechanics and motor do not allow feedrates above about 80 IPM without toolpath deviation. It does not have the linear acceleration in the gantry axis (at least 25 IPS/Sec) to handle accurate toolpath tracking at 200+ IPM. Added 'Flex" in the system due to the linear bearing design adds torch tip deflection on directioncahnges at higher feedrates .

I know their response it always "pilot error" and that you need to practice more. Well, you can't cheat physics no matter how long you try
littlefatbuddy
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by littlefatbuddy »

If you figure it out please post what you did. I have had my BT for over a year and a half and never been able to make the THC work at all. I tried from 20gauge to 1/4" plate. I turn off the THC and cut the best I can. I am overall happy with the results I am getting but I know a proper THC would make it better.
Nacs Fab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Nacs Fab »

I would be kicking their door in if i bought a machine from them and it didnt work.
sphurley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by sphurley »

You would have to wait in line!
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
slong4280
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by slong4280 »

ok great help from all lol on waiting n line. bt running great now the speed will go up to 400 you have to set that in sheet cam then if you need more speed you turn up on green bar by % that's were I was confussed I thought the green % bar was the speed. antidrve speed has to be 40 on art work an 85 on easy cuts if its set over 100 the thc does not work

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”