Quick question for Jim Colt

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
egsetty
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Quick question for Jim Colt

Post by egsetty »

I am using power max 1000 fine cut. I have a lot of spray of sparks that ball up and cause height control to raise torch. This is only when the machine is cutting to the right side of torch. Is this because I am using a hand torch? Thank You for your time!!
Team Tracker
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Quick question for Jim Colt

Post by Team Tracker »

This is likely caused by using a nozzle that is worn out, have you tried a new nozzle and electrode?

Using a hand torch will not be the problem but be sure that the torch head itself is square to the material on both axis.

Hand torch installations typically are not very rigid and can easily be knocked out of square which may contribute to your problem.

Best of luck.
1-800-590-7804
egsetty
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by egsetty »

I have replaced all consumables sometimes it works great for about 100 inches and sometimes it does it right away after changing consumables. Sometimes it cut a short distance like 5 to 10 inches and a ball forms under shield causing height control to raise up off of metal and causes gouging. Thank You for your time and your help.
davek0974
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by davek0974 »

Is your air pressure/flow holding up when the air is flowing????
egsetty
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by egsetty »

yea plenty of air flow and pressure and running a refrig air dryer. runs great in all directions except for when moving to the right that's why I was thinking it was with the shield but I have replaced with new but still does it.
Thank You for your time and comments all is greatly appreciated !
Doc Hollywood
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Doc Hollywood »

Hey, mine has done this also, looking for any hints on how to keep the crap off the nozzle. My tip saver goes off, and thc raises way up, and ruins the piece im making. :oops:
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

I had the exact same problems with my powermax 1250. I bought a powermax 85, with the new duramax torch, and can tell you it's a ton better. Consumables last longer, the copper plus electrodes will outlast a standard electrode considerably, and the tip stays clean. The shield has been redesigned for both the standard as well as finecut consumables, and gets a lot less junk on it when piercing, and that little ball of crap that builds up under the torch and rolls along until your height control raises the torch, it doesn't happen anymore.

There are several people here that upgraded their torch on their old G3 series power supplies to the new duramax torch, with similar results. I was pondering just a torch upgrade, but honestly wanted another machine so I could use the old one for backup, since I can't afford to be down if one gives up.

Shane
egsetty
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by egsetty »

Thank you everyone for your replies. I think a new torch might be in the future.
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

I have a PM65 with a Duramax machine torch and I am plagued by the little balls...only with finecut nozzle. Makes no difference if it's a new or used nozzle and the torch is square with the table. The balls start and stop on their own. I've wondered if it could be the steel. If somebody figures it out, let me know. I've been putting up with this for a LONG TIME.

Allen

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”