? for Jim Colt plain vanilla aluminum

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Loyd
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

? for Jim Colt plain vanilla aluminum

Post by Loyd »

Jim,
.250 thick 3003 aluminum (the nasty kind).
What settings/tips would you suggest on a hypertherm 1250 with plasmacam?
I wiped nozzle dip on both sides ran 60amp unsheilded tip @ 45 amps, 55ipm it did what I would consider a fair job
but just wanted to compare notes. I was cutting a part 4.375 in diameter with 89 .250 holes. Kind of like
a shower drain. Dross was pretty heavy at times and I would have to reset the height control for every
part for it to cut "properly".
Thanks,
Loyd
De inimico non loquaris sed cogites
Do not wish ill upon your enemies, plan it.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: ? for Jim Colt plain vanilla aluminum

Post by jimcolt »

Must be a typo or something.....how did you fit 89 .250" holes in a 4.375" part anyway?

I would use the 40 Amp shielded consumables.....the shield helps a lot on aluminum by keeping the front of the torch from arcing to the aluminum spatter. It also is a good idea to run your consumables right at their rated amperage. Using a 60 amp nozzle at 45 amps reduces the energy density of the arc....effectively allowing it to wander more.

I just did some 1/4 aluminum a couple of days ago.....and I used my Powermax45.....so the settings would be different. I actually followed the specs in the Hypertherm manual and it worked pretty well.

Jim
Loyd

Post by Loyd »

Thanks Jim. I tried to use shielded but the "growth" that would build up on the top of the aluminum would catch on the tip. I don't know if you have worked with 3003 alum before but it is very gummy, nasty to machine just not nice stuff at all. As far as the 89 .250 holes? I will attach a drawing. I also threaded the O.D. with an 8 tpi so it could be screwed into the pipe fitting. I made 41 of them. Tell you what.....I'll see if I have time to cut one today and take a picture of the part w/o any secondary operations. Also, thanks for the tip about running at the rated amperage....I didn't realize that. :)
Loyd
4 inch strainer.jpg
4 inch strainer.jpg (62.84 KiB) Viewed 1449 times
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

If you are getting acceptable quality on aluminum on a part like this....you are doing quite well! This type of part is usually a good candidate for an abrasive water jet......laser does a poor job....and the plasma usually heat affects it too much. Nice work!

Jim
Loyd

Post by Loyd »

Thank you Jim, The parts did come out quite nicely. I would skip around the hole pattern. The only real issue I had was the machine would wind up way too high on the next part to initiate the cut. I would just cut one part, then reset the torch height for the next and so on. I will try a different alloy next time. I just had a 4x5 foot piece from another job.
I really appreciate your input on this forum I have learned a lot from your posts.
Loyd

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”