air pressure psi in regards to cut quality

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Metal Troll
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

air pressure psi in regards to cut quality

Post by Metal Troll »

I have a Hypertherm Powemax 1000 and in the manuel all i can find for setting psi for my air is 70 to 80 psi. I cut galv 26ga-14ga depending on the job and also HR and CR in the 16ga-8ga range. Should I set my air at 75psi and only adjust my amps and cut speeds or should I be adjusting my air pressure and how should I adjust it if I should be.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: air pressure psi in regards to cut quality

Post by jimcolt »

Air pressure should be set to the specs in the manual......while flowing at the torch. Turn the amperage knob fully counterclockwise and the air flow will activate...then set the pressure using the adjusting knob on the regulator. If pressure is lower, you will have less energy density, drossy cuts. Way too low and the pressure switch will not allow the arc to fire.....this is to prevent damage to the torch. If pressure is higher than Hypertherm recommends you can shortent the life of the consumables.....too high and the torch will misfire. Use the factory recommended settings.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Metal Troll
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Metal Troll »

Thanks for the reply. But me being alittle slow need a little more clarification. I actually know how to adjust the psi that part is pretty self explanitory.

So you suggest setting it at 75psi and leaving it there no matter the thickness of metal and only adjusting the cut speed and amps?

Or adjust in that 70 to 80psi that the manuel suggest depending on the thickness but to not go under 70psi or over 80psi?
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

If the manual says 70 to 80 psi....then that is good for all materials. The consumable parts and the torch cooling flow are designed to operate on all materials in this pressure range. Higher pressure will cause shorter electrode life, lower pressure will cause poor cut quality....or will not allow the torch to fire.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Metal Troll
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Metal Troll »

Thank you jim for all your info. This helps alot

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”