Drawing an exact image using measurements

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
BWeitzel
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Drawing an exact image using measurements

Post by BWeitzel »

I have a part that I need to cut for a trailer that I'm building and I need the exact dimensions.
I have Corel x3. Can I draw that using Corel or is there an easier program that I could use
without it costing me an arm and a leg that would be precise.
Thanks BW
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Drawing an exact image using measurements

Post by Scratch »

Not sure about version 3 but I have version 11 and yes I can draw exact measurements. Let's say you want a box shape. Use the rectangle tool, then up top, where it shows the measurements, change them to your specs.
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Be sure to account for kerf width of your cut too...
srp
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by srp »

This is when a cad program is much easier than a graphic program. Staples has simple programs for $40. - john
trucks1948
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by trucks1948 »

when drawing an exact part in corel is the cut going to go down the center of the line?What i mean is if i want to compensate for the kerf would i offset 1/2 of it?Hope that made sense.Jim
BWeitzel
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by BWeitzel »

trucks1948 wrote:when drawing an exact part in corel is the cut going to go down the center of the line?What i mean is if i want to compensate for the kerf would i offset 1/2 of it?Hope that made sense.Jim
I understand what you're saying. I will have to increase my size to compensate for the cutting line. I'm not sure
I am going to be able to use corel to draw this as it is a latch which has several curves and angels that have to be exact. What program would you use to draw this? Should I look for a cad program...if so I need a simple one that won't take me months to figure out? Thanks
trucks1948

Post by trucks1948 »

i'm not experienced enough to answer that,but there are a lot of people on here that will help you i;m sure.Jim
vondeliusc
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by vondeliusc »

BWeitzel wrote:
trucks1948 wrote:...as it is a latch which has several curves and angels that have to be exact. What program would you use to draw this? Should I look for a cad program...if so I need a simple one that won't take me months to figure out? Thanks
Unfortunately, virtually every CAD program has a huge learning curve.
I work almost entirely in SolidWorks as a professional, and use it to transfer my designs to PlasmaCAM as a .dxf.
For me, it is child's play to design ANYTHING in SW, .dxf it out to PC, which will one-click offset it to my torch specs.
My Miller 375 Xtreme will cut parts with about a 5 thousandths (0.005") accuracy.
If you can sketch your design out, I would be happy to draw it accurately for you and send you a dxf back, if it is not too complicated..
-Christian
alpineglobalprivate@gmail.com
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Trucks.... yes you are correct. Corel will cut down the center of the line so compensate by half your cut.

BWeitzel.... I have BobCAD and use it sometimes, but I honestly wouldn't hesitate to draw anything and everything in Corel now. I'm not sure if I like it that much better, or if I like using CAD that much worse.... Maybe it's a little bit of both.
trucks1948

Post by trucks1948 »

Scratch,thanks for some more good tips.It really helps makes the learning faster.Jim
Loyd

Post by Loyd »

I have used autocad, designcad 2d & 3d. I have been a machinist/fabricator for over 30 years. I am NOT an expert but the absolutely easiest
cad program I have used with an extremely short learning curve is DeltaCad for about 50 bucks. If you use their tutorial you will be up and
running in less than a couple of hours.
Just my 2 cents....:)
Loyd
De inimico non loquaris sed cogites
Do not wish ill upon your enemies, plan it.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Loyd... good idea on the tutorial, don't know why I didn't think of that. I got a Corel and WinCNC tutorial that came with my table and it helped alot. If there were some tutorials for my BobCAD I would probably be using that more too.
mattinspokane
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by mattinspokane »

i'm running bobcad,version 21 and it is pretty easy to make parts fit. the help function works well - take an hour to read through it and you will be up and running. i keep a calculator and scratch paper at my workstation when i am designing to keep track of the details. let me know if I can help you out w/bobcad - matt
pipeliner
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by pipeliner »

The Plasma Cam program is what I use for exact cut peices, works of quardnets, & allows for the kerf, circle diameter & placement, a real nice program. I use Coral Draw 4 alot also, learned alot by wacthing the tutorial videos on U-Tube (Scroll saw workshop) this guy explains everything.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”