Issues on thicker plate

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Scheub
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Issues on thicker plate

Post by Scheub »

I have a Cutmaster A80 set up on an Ez-router "affordable plasma cutter" system, and am currently having some issues cutting thicker plate (1/4"-3/8"). I have followed the settings in the A80 manual, and previously (about a month ago) cut out some parts in 1/4" with no problems. Now, it just basically gouges the metal without cutting all the way through. I have tried replacing consumables, but did not seem to help it. Would this be an air quality issue (moisture)? Will post some pics when I get a chance.

Thanks for any help.
fergy
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Issues on thicker plate

Post by fergy »

if you yourself even think that it could be an air quality issue then it most probably is, I thought I had good air until I installed a refrigerated dryer filters and deccesant filters and then all problems went away and table became a joy to use, I don't even watch it any more just load program check everything is turned on and press go then glance at it as I walk away and it is doing its first pierce.
if you have moisture in your torch lead just give it time to blow out after you sort your air quality problems out
fergy
Scheub
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Scheub »

fergy wrote:if you yourself even think that it could be an air quality issue then it most probably is, I thought I had good air until I installed a refrigerated dryer filters and deccesant filters and then all problems went away and table became a joy to use, I don't even watch it any more just load program check everything is turned on and press go then glance at it as I walk away and it is doing its first pierce.
if you have moisture in your torch lead just give it time to blow out after you sort your air quality problems out
fergy

Thanks for your input. Hopefully I can get it sorted out. These things arre awesome when they run correctly!
mlinehan
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by mlinehan »

Clean air is critical, but moisture in the air stream generally shows up as a problem starting an arc. If you are having penetration problems, first check your cut parameters and make sure you are using the rated tip for the current you cut at. So, 80 amp tip for 80 amp cutting. The consumable parts might be a problem if the tip orifice is so eroded that the arc does not form up correctly. Look at the orifice from the inside out. It should be circular and will erode as you use it, becoming oblong in some cases. Check cut height. Check pierce time. If you start movement before the pierce is complete, you might only gouge the plate, especially if it is a short cut. If that does not do it, adjust current up by 10%.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”