Heigth Control

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
rocksolidframes
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Heigth Control

Post by rocksolidframes »

I have a tracker table with a thermo dynamics 101. I'm cutting 12 guage steel and would like to maintain a .060 or 1/16 inch torch heigth. Standoff is set at .3, after piercing the torch self adjusts to about .180. When using AVC I adjust it down while cutting but as soon as I start the next part it resets itself back to .180. How can I make it stay at 1/16 clearence? I don't have anything on my machine control that says anything about torch heigth. I appriciate any help I can get.
Thankyou, Saddlebur
rocksolidframes
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Heigth Control

Mr. Leatherhands,
Thanks for the reply, I just tried it again with the AVC on and bumped it down with the - key and it stopped and a window opened saying something about a torch failure and I didn't take it down to far it still had clearence so I unchecked AVC and I finished the piece by bumping the - key after it pierced each time for about 20 times. If you look at my other post on the general forum, subject is no fire first one inch of travel, we corrected that problem, but maby you can see where i've been with settings and maby I have created an underlying problem.
thankyou for your help, Saddlebur
rocksolidframes
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Mr. Leatherhands,
I don,t know the age of my machine, it looked like new when I bought it, maby the serial number (080906) will help. I will try again to adjust the torch down using the AVC/THC dial. But it doesn't act right when it pierces, it plunges down as normal then it raises up to a lower heigth then it is programmed for, it pierces, then it raises up higher as it starts the cut. It like the pierce heigth and cut heigth are reversed. Thanks for all your help.

Saddlebur
rocksolidframes
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

I tried cutting with the AVC on, the torch raised up .163, standoff is .3, it pierced the steel and shut down. The Torch Fault window came up, it said Flame Out Detected- Command and Cut has paused the system. If anyone has some input it will be greatly apprieciated.

Thanks, Saddlebur
rocksolidframes
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Mr. Leatherhands,

I eliminated the flame out error. Thank You. I cut a 4" square as you suggested. I adjusted the torch down while cutting with AVC adjusting knob. I got a 1/16th of an inch clearance between torch and steel.

Problems. The torched plunged down and touched the plate and raised up only two cut height and started cutting. It did not raise up to pierce height. Then after completing cut it remained at cut height and did not raise up out of the way as usual.

Thankyou, Saddlebur
rocksolidframes
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Mr. Leatherhands,

Thankyou for your help, I won,t be in the shop for a couple of days, please check back if you have time and I will follow your last instructions but I think we are there and everything is fine. Thankyou again, this forum is priceless.

Saddlebur

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”