Plasma nozzles

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Metal Troll
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Plasma nozzles

Post by Metal Troll »

Hello,
I have been a member of this site for awhile now and would like to thank all of you for all the information that you provide for all of us that are new to using plasma tables. Which includes me. I have actually had no training on the table and software that we use (Shop Data Systems) and have been teaching myself as I go threw trial and error. Needless to say this site has been a ray of light in a stormy see since I found it. With all of your help I have learned a great deal about artistic metal design but compared to some of you I am a 3 year old with crayons to your Leonardo DaVinci. This doesnt get me down but keeps positive that with practice I too will be designing some great art. Once again THANK YOU ALL!

Now on to my question.

I have a Multicam 1000 5'x20' plasma table with a Hypertherm Powermax 1000 plasma cutter. We typically cut 26ga galvanized and 24ga galvanized on are table for HVAC ductwork fittings but on occasion cut heavy gauge hot and cold rolled steel for special procjects. We have been running the 40 amp nozzles on are cutter but I am thinking of starting to use the 60 amp nozzles. My thinking is that my nozzles will last longer and I will be prepared for those heavy gauge jobs that come in which the customer always seems to need yesterday. Is this correct or will the 60 amp nozzles burn out just as fast as the 40 amp?
Metal Troll
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Plasma nozzles

Post by Metal Troll »

The heavier gauges that we cut are anywhere from 14ga to 3/8" on a rare occasion and I try to stick to what the user manuel tells me to use for tip types and settings for cutter. I typically have good results with the factory settings.

Thank you for your fast reply.

Metal Troll
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The consumable parts you choose to use with your Powermax1000 are dependant on whether you are more concerned with 1.cut speed or 2. cut quality in terms of part accuracy and edge squareness.

The Powermax1000 has 3 basic sets of consumables:

Fine Cuts these are designed to produce the best cut quality for materials in the range of 26 ga to 10 ga.....at power levels under 50 amps. I actually use them up through 3/16" steel with excellent results......nice square edge...minimal or no dross. The cut speeds are a bit slower with these parts.....and that will actually help you with fine features such as holes, sharp corners, etc.The cut speed on 26 gauge is in the 150 inch per minute range with exceptional cut quality

40 Amp shielded these are made for cutting in the range of 26 ga to 1/4", although I use mine up to 3/8" when I want the best edge suqareness....although there is a little dross formation on this thickness. Typical speed on 26 ga galvanized is in 350 to 600 inch per minute range.....these are the best choice for cutting HVAC parts where tolerances are not extremely tight...but you need parts fast.

60 Amp shielded parts These parts have an advertised range from 16 ga to 3/4".....although maximum piercing is recommended to 1/2".....edge start on thicker materials. Speed on 16 gauge is in excess of 500 ipm.....cut quality is not the best....but if speed is important this is the way to go. Speed on 1/2" material is 27 inches per minute.

As far as consumable life.....kind of depends how you want to rate consumable life! If cut quality is of little concern....then you will get the biggest pile of parts out of one set of 60 Amp consumables due to the speed! In reality, the Fine Cut parts produce the lowest consumable life and by far the best cut quality in their thickness range....the 40 amp and 60 amp parts have similar life as measured in hours and the number of starts....but the 60 amp cuts faster....generally with more edge angularity and looser tolerances as compared to the 40's.

The key to consumable life is through good torch height control. Your multicam machine is avaialble with either a plate rider THC ( a housing that surrounds the torch and rides on the plate on rollers)...or has an optional arc voltage based THC with ohmic contact initial height sensing. If you have the roller ball plate rider....you will have excellent consumable life up through 3/16" plate thickness with all of the consumable sets. If you have the arc voltage THC you will have excellent consumable life up through maximum piercing thickness of 1/2", assuming the pierce height and cut height are being set as designed.....this is because the arc voltage THC has the ability to pierce at a higher height on thicker materials....minimizing the effect of pierce splatter on the consumables.

Anyway....I recommend you follow the cut specs in the Hypertherm manual....use the speeds under the "optimum travel speed" column in the cut charts for each set of consumables....also follow the recomended standoff (cut height) and pierce at 1.5 to 2 times the cut height, and set the pierce delay time as listed in the manual....under these conditions you will get great life out of your consumables.

Good luck...and I'll be happy to help out in any way I can.

Best regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm
Metal Troll
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Metal Troll »

Hello Jim,

That helps alot thank you for all the information.

Metal Troll

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”