Sizing of text for signage at a distance

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
trucks1948
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Sizing of text for signage at a distance

Post by trucks1948 »

I have a customer who is going to use telephone poles for uprights and for the cross piece across his driveway.The top of the cross piece will be 14feet high .The width will be 22-24 ft .He wants about 12 feet of design in the middle.my question is how big do i need to make the designs so they look right and are able to be seen from a reasonable distance? He wants the designs to set right on top of the pole.Thanks for any help.Jim
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Sizing of cuttings

Post by weldor2005 »

I am just taking a stab at this one...

There are two things to think about. What color will it be, and will that color contract well with the back ground from multiple if not all viewing angles.

Then as for size, If it is lettering I would compare other signs around you, measure the height of the letters, and then walk away from it until you can no longer enjoy/read the sign. If you need more distance in your mind then make bigger letters than that one.

I could have sworn there was actually a legit formula for this somewhere in physics, but I have no clue.

Side note, Be sure to engineer for strength, that is a long span for something like this, and include ideas like wind, or if it will get ice building up on it.

All I can offer.
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys
Stout

Post by Stout »

I get a picture of where any design will be installed along with a measurement for reference. The I drop the design onto the picture and resize it until the customer says "That's exactly right.". Not much guesswork anymore.
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
Sector Technologies Photon 5x10 water table machine with Hypertherm Micro Edge Controller, Powermax 105
trucks1948

Post by trucks1948 »

Thanks guys that was my idea drawing it to scale in corel and setting it up till it looked right.
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

trucks1948 wrote:Thanks guys that was my idea drawing it to scale in corel and setting it up till it looked right.
Try to find a font with the fattest letters possible.
My customer picked out a font that I didn't agree with, but went with her choice.
Sure enough, from just a short distance the lettering disappeared.

Dano
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

Along with size a very important consideration is material thickness and stiffness. This sign will be 14' in the air exposed to every weather condition possible, wind, rain, tornadoes? It needs to withstand a lot. How you fasten to the support poles will be important also. Remember and consider metal fatigue, a little bit of movement over the years can result in disaster.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
trucks1948

Post by trucks1948 »

Thanks for all the ideas
BrianMick
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BrianMick »

Here is a chart done by the california institute of technology....I think it comes in quite handy
Brian

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Marty
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Sizing of text for signage at a distance

Post by Marty »

Thanks Brian

I also learned that some cities or counties have codes for height of address numbers in an address sign...i called around then stuck with the largest spec....6 inches...at least for address numbers...I also standardized in backing the address sign with white acrylic, epoxied to bare metal on back of the address plaque......contrast is our friend:)
Ignition Metal Art Design

Give a man a fish and you have taught him where to come for a fish; Teach him to use Google and the Search Engine on Plasma Spider and he will be able to learn more than you could ever teach him yourself

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”